1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for SLIGHT overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GodPlayedBass, Sep 19, 2020.

1. And I mean slight. I don't wanna sound like a guitar. Just a little bit of dust from the attic if you know what I mean. Any suggestions? Would be cool if i could ger this sound from a DI. Not too expensive hopefully?

gebass6 and Riff Ranger like this.
  2. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Driven Crane likes this.
  3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    One Control Hookers Green. I tried a bunch and that one can get very mild and musical.

4. Evil_Druid

Evil_Druid

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    Southampton fifth gear
    RMA Tetanus boost

Zbysek, 600 Ohms and cosmicevan like this.
  5. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

The most transparent analogue Overdrive I tried is a Fairfield Barbershop. However the most veratile and transparent overdrive i'd tried period is one of the 6 options on the Source Audio AfterShock. It's digital...not that you would know it.

Zbysek, 4Mal, johnk_10 and 3 others like this.
  6. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Fretless with a pick Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Soul food

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    If you want one that’s also a DI, a SansAmp BDDI or VT Bass are good choices.

For a light OD pedal I like (and own)
    - Bass Soul Food - I really like it but I’m in a minority here, seems most TBers hate it. It’s also relatively inexpensive.
    - OneControl Hooker’s Green Bass Machine
    - [sfx] Micro Red Dragon (but they’re getting harder to find)
    - Ampeg Scrambler (really like it at lighter drive settings, not so much above 2:00 or 3:00)

8. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    I liking the eqd plumes. It's pretty cheap to..$139 cdn anyway.. I keep the drive very low most of the time.

9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I'm currently using my SansAmp YYZ pedal in exactly this way. I have the Drive at about 11 o'clock and the Blend about the same (favoring dry signal). This way I am able to get a very subtle change. In fact, you might not guess I had anything on my signal if I just played a few notes for you. But as soon as I turn it off - bang - you get the rubber band sterility of solid state amp like gangbusters. The YYZ just adds a little sustain to higher notes and a little bit of "air" to the lower ones, just fattens them up. And the way I run the Blend and the EQ there's absolutely no loss of fundamental bump.

Of course, this pedal can also full out "Geddy" and even go well beyond that, too.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    TN WOODMAN and Kipp Harrington like this.
  11. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Grizzly. Does low gain perfectly and thickens the sound. Sounds so nice, I bought it twice.

s_wood, Phil60, Fuzzbass and 3 others like this.
  12. TC Spark! 4 knob version

13. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Just about any boost overdrive with a blend can do that.. get cheapest one and move on. Any of these pedals in this thread will do.. Try them as able

amper likes this.
  14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I spent a few years trying out (and returning) lots of "subtle" overdrives. I avoided buying a Pork Loin, because it was too big. When the small version of the Pork and Pickle came out, I caved.

I really wish I'd caved earlier - to my hears, the Pork is it. It can do that "is it dirty?" thing that you don't really know is on, until you turn it off, and realize....yeah, that's it.

15. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    soul food

TN WOODMAN, GMC and WillyWonka like this.
  16. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    EHX Bass Soul Food.
    TC Electronic Spark.

Both relatively inexpensive, widely available, and do the mild transparent overdrive thing well.

TN WOODMAN, Bo0tsy, GMC and 1 other person like this.
  17. Tube screamer for sure

18. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    I've been on this quest for ages. My local GC knows me as the bassist buying and selling pedals. A tube preamp slight in the red is the only answer I can give you.

amper likes this.
  19. bassingeorge

bassingeorge Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2003
    San diego, CA
    Vtbass
    Vtbass
    Vtbass

& Vtbass

:D

TN WOODMAN likes this.