Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for some Bag End opinions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phattire, Dec 25, 2004.

1. phattire

phattire

Oct 27, 2004
    Burbank CA
    Ok , I own a S15X-D and have using a S15D that I have to give back after the !st, so it time to go shopping. I also just got the Eden WT 550 ;) pure love... anyhow the choice now is S15D or S15L D that I have been reading about, or the S12D that a lot of guys are using :scowl:
    If you be so kind as to offer a opinion
    I want the rig to be as versatile as possible, I'm also playing a 5 string MTD
    Thanks for the help

2. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I used to own both a S15D and a S12D. The 15 is a killer little cabinet(as you already know). The 12 is great if used with the 15 but I found the 12 lacking as a stand alone especially with a fiver.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    IMO you should go with the S15L D. More low end, still easy to carry (60 pounds) and if you turn it on it's side it stacks perfectly with the S15D.
    I know everybody is sick and tired of looking at my picture but....
    [​IMG]

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Well there are some pretty good comparisons of stuff on this link - click here
    here's an excerpt from part of a post i did there

today i went to try a few cab combinations at my BE dealer as he just got in an S15, an S12, and an S15X. I schlepped my S15, S12, and D10B to the shop. The results were interesting and echoed my thoughts when i bought the 12 about 2 years ago. The S15/S15X combo sounded huge, but the S15/S12 combo i've been using had more present mids and i actually liked it better. This is still true even though i probably get 60%+ of my volume from the S15. The S15X/S12 combo is absolutely nuts. Total tonal spectrum. Sounds better than most of the "boutique" cabinets available today.

absolutly true. The 12 sounds good with 4-strings by itself. It sounds very different on the floor than up in the air too. IME, the 12 really comes into its own on top of a 15 (with or without coax). To echo my review above, I really kind of expected to prefer the sound of the 2 15's better than the 12 and 15, but no dice. 2 fifteens sound fantastic, but the 15 and 12 combo was just mind blowingly good, (I knew there must be some reason i've used theat combo for so long). and it wsnt just a case of the sound i was used to, it was really just that good.

However, I dont think you'd be dissapointed with any of the combinations you're thinking of. I personally still want to buy an S15X-D and an S15L-D.

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Heck No!!!
    I downloaded it a long time ago so i can gas over the S15L-D
    :p

6. phattire

phattire

Oct 27, 2004
    Burbank CA
    I've been looking at this picture for a long time now :D
    I may have to get the S15L D and get the S12 later too

It seems that you guys both like the S15 L D for the low end
    over a S15D

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yes as a match to go with one S15d, but if you are looking for a stand alone cab the S15LD might not be the way to go because what it gains in low end, it loses in mid range punch IMO. The two of them together are a good matchup though.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hmmm... Maybe I should ask Bag end for sales commision

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    [​IMG]

:D

10. phattire

phattire

Oct 27, 2004
    Burbank CA
    Ivanmike
    is that a S210 on the bottom?

11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    That's a D10B-D (2x10) The dimensions are exactly the same as the S15L-D.

12. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Time to find a new pic for my BE stack...

no 15s though, just 10s, lots of 10s

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    All that being said, I am considering selling my Bag end stuff. Phattire you have a pm. I have way too many bass cabs and am jonesing for a new 5 string bass

14. phattire

phattire

Oct 27, 2004
    Burbank CA
    Well it is all together WT-550 S15x-d and S15cus
    and it sounds great :hyper: I had a good freind come by and help me dial it in, it's good to know a touring pro... never had (the tone) so fast :) thanks also to Ivanmike and cb56 for all your help

Attached Files:

15. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

16. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Dude that rig so rocks!
    i doubt you had to do anything with the eq, but if i hadda guess i would say you kept the enhance down near 9 o'clock or lower and maybe bumped a tiny bit of high mids. (tell me if i win a prize by being right - :D )
    Now I'm jealous. I have serious GAS for an s15x-d ans i'd get a cus if i could swing it. I also miss my eden wt-400 which i had to sell due to $ issues. Well, i figure i'll get a 550 one day. The great thing about your rig is you can always add two more cabs to it :p
    enjoy the rig that's a serious setup. Now, to be ultimately cool, get one of those folding hand trucks tey sell at lowe's and sam ash. One trip from the car to the club. Then you can watch as the other band struggles with the 8x10 and the 100 lb head their dude brings. It's always cool to have a drink in your hand when you watch this too. :cool:

17. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    beautiful cabinet there 57. i bought a bag end catoluge on e-bay from 1983 or so when they still made the cabs like that. I've never seen one stained that dark though. That's very cool.

18. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I know you'll enjoy that S15-Cus phattire. That's a great set up but I'm just hooked on the Ampeg sound. Glad to see it'll be getting used instead of sitting in a corner collecting dust at my house. :bassist:

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You'll be back... :D

20. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Thanks Ivan...

It also has the front cover ...you notice the velcro at the corners...thats for the cover.......
    I recently went over the whole cab with Linseed Oil and it brought out the grain of the cab.
    Its sounds great too....
    Sam Ash had that cab for $150 with the old speakers and I grabbed it...the new replacements cost me $350 for both directly from Bag End....