Looking For Some Good Opinion On New Rig, Carvin & Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gatorben24, Mar 9, 2010.

1. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Hey, new here and hope this is in the right spot, and please move if its not. Anyways I'm looking to upgrade my setup right now. I have a 410 TP and 115TP run by a 2500, all Hartke. I just bought a new bass 'SR755' and now my rig is due to upgrade.
    I'm looking at the Carvin B2000, http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/bassheads.php, with an Avatar 410 Neo Cab http://www.avatarspeakers.com/... I am getting drowned out with Triple rectifiers, Marshal tubes, and Peavey tubes. My sound just keeps getting less and less clean. So as of right now I am looking for a completely clean tone, no distortion, all the way from 1 to 9. Deep, and Punchy. I want alot of head room and just possibility to turn it up. And as of now I am turning my eq on my Hartke off and trying to just get it straight from my guitars eq, which I heard Carvins good at..

Anyways what do you guys think of the setup? Should I have some good headroom compared? And also should I get four or eight Ohm? Thanks for reading and please respond

2. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    had a B800 and never did like it switched to gk,as far as avatar they about the best cabs out there IMO. as far as 4 or 8 0hm is the b2000 2ohm stable like the b800? if so id go 4ohm as you can still add another 4ohm, if not go 8 and leave room to add.

3. Carvin makes good stuff! That B2000 looks like a beast. I have a BX500 and have no problem being heard so I can't imagine how loud the B2000 must be! Why not go with a Carvin cabinet as well? There are a few Avitar versus Carvin threads here on TB that might give you better instight.

4. The B2000 is taking the place of the B1500 which had an excellent track record here on TB. The Avatar B410 is an excellent choice for a 4 ohm speaker. Get 2 and the B2000 will take it down to 2 ohms - power up the ying yang, if you get what I mean. I myself play thru a BX500 with Carvin BRX10.4 and BRX10.2 neo cabs at 2 ohms and it sounds awesome. Right now Carvin isn't shipping the B2000 so there might be a little wait, tho it should be very soon.

5. The Carvin is a great choice.

However, you say that you are tired of getting drowned out - yet you want to go from a 2 cab setup to a single 4X10.

Not a good move...............the way to get louder is to move more air, not just bringing lots of watts.

6. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    For a bit more money,you could get the carvin 8x10. I'm looking at one of these myself.

7. I'm using a Carvin BX1200 head through my 8 ohm LDS 15/6.5 cab. The head pushes 800 watts bridged into the cab, and the cab can handle the power cleanly (doesn't sound like it's farting). It's a very solid setup (although I admit I'd love to hear other powerful heads through my cab).

On a side note, before my LDS, I had a 4 ohm Avatar B410 NEO cab. I compared the two cabs side-by-side using the same bass, same amp, and the same settings. I found the LDS to sound cleaner with more definition, and, to my ears, it also had more apparent volume. The Avatar sounded a bit muffled or "farty" in comparison IMO, but it was still a very solid cab that served me well for a few years including in live situations.

8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I'd talk to LDS about a couple of 3015LFs w/a mid range, ala fEarfull type cabs.... If 650watts into each of those isn't enough, then it's too late, your already deaf. WOW, I'm Clairvoyant.

9. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks alot for the feedback. I was thinking about an 810 but i think it may be a little heavy and bulky for my car. And yeah i see what your saying Bass Pounder but lately i've been turning down my amp a little so i can keep a good tone instead of it being a loud, crappy noise.
    And i can always hook my 15' back up.
    Also im looking at getting an Avatar because I heard they give a deep tone for a very inexpensive price. And Carvin doesnt look as good compared.
    And can someone explain the four and eight ohm a little. Like would it effect volume? I dont know much of how that works

and thanks alot guys for the feedback. Keep it coming!

10. Explain how the Carvin doesn't look as good compared? I've played thru both the Avatar and Carvin, have done gigs with both and the Carvin sounds deeper. Of course, that's me YMMV.

Running at 4ohms allows your poweramp to run at it's fullest. I've got the Carvin BX500 and I run it at 2 ohms, same wattage as 4ohms, but a little more efficent.

11. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I agree. While I haven't played the 410 Avatar or Carvin, I did have an Avatar B210 and B212. Now I have a Carvin BRX10.2 and is a much better sounding cab IMO. The Carvin is smoother across the whole spectrum and it goes noticeably deeper. The B210 had a lot of upper mid honk to it compared to the BRX10.2.

12. havent played avatar.Own the carvin brx210 and 410,they are very well built boxes,they sound great,low and pounding almost dark sounding.I think these cabs truly handel the power that they are rated,or close to it.210-600 watts @ 4 ohms,410-1200 watts @ 4 ohms.I run a lmiii( 500 watts)through the 210 and have cranked it,210 handels it just fine!

13. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    I spoke a little to soon about that comparison of the two. I was looking at the build quality of the Carvin and I saw a few bad review of speakers ripping and them not lasting very long and my eye got stuck on Avatar some because of price..
    Are the Carvin speakers very durable?

And so what your saying it might make my sound a little louder? And if my power amp if running at its fullest, would the tubes distort some?

14. This is the first that I've ever heard of BRX series speakers ripping, mine 2+ yrs old and going strong like never before. They are extremely well built.

15. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I have been pretty surprised at how much power the BRX10.2 can take. I typically use my B1500 head to power this cab and don't have any issues. It has no trouble keeping up with loud drums and two guitarists. In fact there is relatively little speaker movement even with this cab pushed fairly hard. One thing to consider...the older Carvin Redhead series amps/cabs were not very highly regarded. The newer Carvin heads and cabs have a much better track record. So make sure you are reviewing the newer gear (BRX, BX, B...). FWIW, I think the Carvin BRX cabs are better built than the Avatar.

As for your second comment about the tubes distorting. I assume you are talking about the B2000 head?? If so, I don't think you will get any tube distortion from this head...then again I haven't played it. You will most likely have to run through a VT or Sansamp pedal to get a tube like distortion.

16. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Right now I'm running an SVT-CL into a BRX 10.2 and it sounds really, really good. Haven't compared with an Avatar so can't give info there. One thing to consider is that Carvin often do package deals with amp+cabs so you'd be getting a discount on the cab.

There's no packages with the new heads on their site right now, but I'd try calling them and saying that you want a BRX1510.4 or a BRX15210.4 but would like the B2000 amp instead. Doesn't hurt to try, the worst that can happen is that they say "no" ... based on my experience if you butter up the sales guy enough they might throw in some freebies (speakon cables etc) as well.

17. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Sorry, I didn't make clear, I was responding to the ohm response because he said that the lower the ohms the more you use your preamps power.. And I'm trying to get away from distortion

And yeah, you guys are quickly changing my mind on the speaker choice.. I need to look some more into it.. Just wish there was a stack combo for my wants lol.

18. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks for the idea. Will do!

19. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    Ah, I'm with you now. That shouldn't be a problem then. You would be good going down to a 2ohm load and still be able to get a nice clean sound.

20. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Here's a thought: tell the gui****s to turn down. Too loud is too loud all day long. I hope you wear earplugs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021