1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for some help dating a Fender Jazz bass neck.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by payinthedues, Nov 5, 2013.

1. payinthedues

payinthedues

Nov 5, 2013
    I bought this bass neck 20+ years ago and has been in storage since then. The 5 digit code on the neck is unfamiliar to me but the pencil 'S' i've seen several times. Any help would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    advice for dating this neck:

-be sure to show it a good time
    -don't be lookin at other necks while you're out with this one
    -if you like it, put a ring on it
    -before you tap it, make sure you wrap it

...i'll show myself out now

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    From the markings and other features, It doesn't appear to be a Fender neck to me.

4. payinthedues

payinthedues

Nov 5, 2013
    I know the 5 digit code is weird (may have been added after?) but what else looks wrong to you?

5. Paul M

Paul M

Jul 21, 2005
    Late 60s up to 1974. If the hole on the back for the strap button was made at the factory, it's in the 60s.

That's what it looks like, if it's not a fake. I don't see anything that makes me think it's a fake.

6. payinthedues

payinthedues

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks, Paul M!

7. Best advice yet.

8. +1 on this.

I believe the TV logo came in late '68, and '74 ended the heel truss rod adjustment, then switched to the bullet adjustment for awhile. Also there's no micro-tilt adjustment so that also fits that date range. I'm not an expert, though, and someone else may have more details than I can provide.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Date codes are on the actual butt heel of the neck. After the old fashioned stamp that gave the month/year/width they moved to a numbered system that was a bit more complex. Neither resembles the one on that neck in numbers or the font/size of them.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Generally yes, most had heel stamps. But that means alot didn't have stamps at all. Two notorious years for ommited stamps that I've noticed: 1959 and 1969.

You can narrow this one down:
    The TV logo on a 4-bolt neck ran from mid 68 to early 74.
    The Fender logos on the tuners had no registered trademark 'R' stamps from 68-71, and filtering in from 72-76 had the registers trademark 'R' after the logo.
    That strap button hole on the back of the headstock was used until early 69.

I have a very late 69 Jazz (so no strap button hole), and aside from the hole this looks like the same details.

11. Indeed a 68-69 neck, most likely a late 68.

12. payinthedues

payinthedues

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks for all the help guys. I was told it was a 68 years ago but needed a little more confirmation.