1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

looking for some help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fontaine, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    ok guys im buying a new computer, i want to be able to play counter strike source with NO lag :p

oh yea and....school....

but yea, id like to have a good computer (not a laptop) that is reliable!

im looking for something around 1500-2000 CAD, im hoping to go as cheap as possible becuase of the whole poor college kid thing.

what do u guys recommend?

thanks in advacne

2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    the most important advice any-one can give: DO NOT buy a pre-assembled brand name compy. Buy all the parts and put it together yourself. You'll always come out at least a few hundred bux ahead...

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Lag is caused by poor internet connection, not really the computer.

I assume you mean "framerate", though. CS Source is pretty old now, so you shouldn't need anything top-of-the-line.

Beyond that I can't help you much, because I've been out of the computer scene for a few years now.

4. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    a good way too do it is look at all the components of a top gaming computer, ie. an Alienware, and buy em all seperately. I researched that once, and I think I came out a few thousand bux cheaper.

5. Speaking of building your own computer, how much know-how do you need to do that sort of thing? Cause that seems like the route I'd wanna take when I buy my next computer, but I'm not sure if I could pull it off. Is it hard?

6. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    yeah 2 grand is a lot just get something from ibuypower

7. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    you know, I thought so, but then I took a comp repair and maintenace class in High School 2 years ago. There really isn't much to it. pretty much just put everything in the sockets/slots that they fit in, and connect the wires.

also: they have these classes online.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It's very easy. The most important part of it all, the motherboard, comes with a manual that tells you what to put where.

Besides that, there's only one place everything will fit anyway, so you can't really put things in the wrong place and fry them.

I'd say go for it. If you do run into some trouble, go to a computer forum and ask for help. You'll get it no problem.

9. Awesome. thanks

10. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    bump

well ill be going to a place that builds custom pc's, and thats their focus no big name brands, im assuming ill run into a lot less cash?

11. 1500-2000 for a Desktop IS A LOT these days.

Counterstrike source still runs fine on my 2.8ghz 256mb ram old desktop.

You can probably spend around $1250 and come out with an awesome desktop: 2.4ghz duo 2 core processor, a gig or two of ram, a 500gb hard drive, cd/dvd player, nice mobo, nice video card, nice sound card, etc...

12. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    thanks man, its been a while since i got a pc.

13. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    The only thing to worry about when building a computer is static electricity. You'll be dead before you even start. Just ground yourself before you touch anything.

do you need everything, or just the tower? Whatever you get, go with at least 2Gb of memory and you should get great framerates with CS:S, or any other game for that matter, with any new system. Do some research and learn about all the parts and what you need, read reviews to find what's best for what you need, that's half the fun ;) Good luck and have fun :)

14. And most of all, MAKE SURE THE STUFF IS COMPATIBLE.

15. Get an iMac with 2gigs RAM. Unstoppable.

16. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    How's he gonna play CS:S? Is there an app that'll run Steam like Wine? Kinda expensive too...
    I worked on an iMac with a 24" widescreen at work last week, it was pretty impressive :)

17. build your own
    we will help

18. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California

at all costs, DO NOT DO THIS.

If anyone is overpriced, it's Apple corporation.

19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    No, you'll be taken to the cleaners.

Do it yourself. Buy the parts and put them together.

20. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i dont know if i want to do that, im not a hands on guy when it comes to computers, ill blow myself to bits.

but my friend got an extremely good deal there before...ill test my luck.