Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for some high-tension groundwounds/halfrounds/pressurewounds...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aaron, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'd like to try out some groundwounds (is there a universal name for these type of strings?) but before I spend $150 on 5 sets of strings, i wonder if there are some that have high tension (mainly on the E and A strings.) FYI these would be for a mim jazz fretless with bartolinis and gotoh 201. I think i'd like to have around 45-50 lbs for the E string (.110" diameter most likely...) while keeping the tension pretty even. Almost all of the sets i've played felt like the g and d were tight, a was looser, and e is pretty floppy. (i hope i don't get a fanned fret recommendation after this...)

2. Hey Portrait, I don't know of any ground/half rounds that fit the bill of what you're looking for, but, if you want to try flatwounds with tension that will just about rip the bridge off your bass, check out the La Bella 1954 Jamerson set. I think the E is .110 or .115. I had them on my Casady for three days and took them right off; I was getting scared :( Seriously. They have tension you can feel in the next room.

Mike J.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I have those on my p-bass (that is tension i'm looking for, but maybe a tad less tension!) but i'd like something that has more of a round wound sound, but doesn't chew up the board.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    The D'Addario Series II s/s ½ Roundwound "EHR73" set seems
    pretty hi-tension*...G: 66.9lbs., D: 66.7lbs., A: 51.0lbs., E: 44.8lbs.

*goin' by T/I Jazz flats as a reference :D...G: 30.4lbs., D: 33.3lbs.,
    A: 28.1lbs., E: 28.9lbs.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Thanks. Looks good. Time to stop by bass northwest :) .