Looking For Some Insight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Particle Man, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    Hey everyone, longtime lurker, first time poster.

I recently started playing again after a rather long layoff period. I first picked up an SX jazz just to slide back in without a large initial investment. I'm relatively confident that I'll continue with it now, and would like to get a decent bass. I've been all over town making a nuisance of myself at the music stores and have come up with the following- I really like the feel of a Fender jazz neck. Just feels more right to me. I tried Ibanez, but they felt too small. Oddly, I the sound I liked best was from the Fender Deluxe P. I dug p with the humbucker. Now since I'm deep in no man's land, I haven't had a chance to try a wide variety of basses. I'm not opposed to buying online, but I'm not wild about buying something blind. What would be your suggestions be in the sub-$1000ish range. I've been drawn to the Skyline 44-01 for some reason. How would the neck on that compare to a Fender Jazz?
  2. You could do well with the Fender P Special, which is a P body, a P spilt coil humbucker AND a J coil, and a Jazz width neck.

And triangle man beats particle man. :)
  3. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    For just a little extra, you can get the 44-02. Best bass for the buck at that price range, hands down.
  4. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'd check out the G&L Tribute L-2000. Lots of great sounds from that bass, and it feels good, too.

Glenn D.
  5. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    You can get these in a #6 (7 1/2" old school jazz radius) or #8 (12" radius) 1 1/2" nut width neck. I'm almost certain my last jazz being an 01 had a 10" or so radius, which doesn't feel too far off from my current 7 1/2" fretboard radius. These do the P/ humbucker thing better than the P deluxe, and a LOT more. I would say Glenn hit the money on this one. Good luck.
  6. I merely posted because he said he likes a Fender neck, and the P Special is a Fender. And I was thinking low-dough.

Many choices out there for sure.
  7. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    :eyebrow: :confused: Well that's great you gave him an excellent choice :confused:
  8. Phew. That's a refief. :D

(I don't even know why I posted that last comment, really...)
  9. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    The G&L has been on my short list for some time. I've always been gun-shy because I thought the Tributes only had the fatter neck. I didn't want to buy a bass I wouldn't enjoy. Without a local G&L dealer, how would I get one with a different neck?
  10. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I'm a musicman lover, so I would suggest the Sterling....Jazz neck profile with the excellent musicman quality along with the pickup selector switch; you can't go wrong.