1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking For Some Insight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Particle Man, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    Hey everyone, longtime lurker, first time poster.

I recently started playing again after a rather long layoff period. I first picked up an SX jazz just to slide back in without a large initial investment. I'm relatively confident that I'll continue with it now, and would like to get a decent bass. I've been all over town making a nuisance of myself at the music stores and have come up with the following- I really like the feel of a Fender jazz neck. Just feels more right to me. I tried Ibanez, but they felt too small. Oddly, I the sound I liked best was from the Fender Deluxe P. I dug p with the humbucker. Now since I'm deep in no man's land, I haven't had a chance to try a wide variety of basses. I'm not opposed to buying online, but I'm not wild about buying something blind. What would be your suggestions be in the sub-$1000ish range. I've been drawn to the Skyline 44-01 for some reason. How would the neck on that compare to a Fender Jazz?

2. You could do well with the Fender P Special, which is a P body, a P spilt coil humbucker AND a J coil, and a Jazz width neck.

And triangle man beats particle man. :)

3. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    For just a little extra, you can get the 44-02. Best bass for the buck at that price range, hands down.

4. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'd check out the G&L Tribute L-2000. Lots of great sounds from that bass, and it feels good, too.

Glenn D.

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    You can get these in a #6 (7 1/2" old school jazz radius) or #8 (12" radius) 1 1/2" nut width neck. I'm almost certain my last jazz being an 01 had a 10" or so radius, which doesn't feel too far off from my current 7 1/2" fretboard radius. These do the P/ humbucker thing better than the P deluxe, and a LOT more. I would say Glenn hit the money on this one. Good luck.

6. I merely posted because he said he likes a Fender neck, and the P Special is a Fender. And I was thinking low-dough.

Many choices out there for sure.

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    :eyebrow: :confused: Well that's great you gave him an excellent choice :confused:

8. Phew. That's a refief. :D

(I don't even know why I posted that last comment, really...)

9. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    The G&L has been on my short list for some time. I've always been gun-shy because I thought the Tributes only had the fatter neck. I didn't want to buy a bass I wouldn't enjoy. Without a local G&L dealer, how would I get one with a different neck?

10. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I'm a musicman lover, so I would suggest the Sterling....Jazz neck profile with the excellent musicman quality along with the pickup selector switch; you can't go wrong.