Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for some new Wooten.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 24, 2005.

1. I'm a huge fan of Wooten's stuff with Bela Fleck, but I've only heard 2 of their albums (Cosmic Hippo and some live stuff). I've heard a lot of Victor's solo stuff but was never really impressed. Good bass playing, but not enough music. It always focused too much on him and his bass like a showcase album. I'm looking for some new Wooten stuff, either solo or otherwise, with a full band and more "accessible" music. Something that flows better then stuff like his "Show of Hands" album. Any suggestions? Instrumental stuff preferred, no vocals = better.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Maybe you'd like bass extremes, vital tech tones, or any number of his side projects. check out his discography on his site for a list of a bunch of the records he's played on.

http://www.victorwooten.com/woot10.html

3. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Yin Yang disc 1. Just dont buy soul circus!

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    imo, soul circus is the best album he's put out to date. But it's pretty vocal heavy and the bass playing kind of takes back seat, so I don't think it's what the original poster had in mind.

5. the "Live in America" double disc is pretty killer, especially if you're not wanting to hear non stop bass pyrotechnics. His playing is awesome of course but the flashy bass playing is minimal and the disc is very song/jam oriented.

6. Live In America, is that with the Flecktones?
    I've heard Soul Circus and honestly, I'll pass. Way too much singing and it's just not my style. Sounds like he's trying too hard.
    I've heard a few tracks from the Bass Extremes thing, pretty awesome IMO. I LOVE "A Chick From Corea" and "Glorius Pastorius". Great stuff.
    What are some other good Flecktone albums? I like pretty much everything I heard from them, but I don't know what albums are extra kickass.

7. Live in America isn't with the flecktones, it's actually live recordings from his own playing. But, don't worry, all the cuts are with a full band. It's hard to tell what you're looking for though, on one hand it sounds like you dont want things that are bass-oriented, but on the other hand you dont seem to be into the stuff with singing. In that case, the Bela Fleck greatest hits album might be what you're looking for :) And I bet you would absolutely love the track "Hip Bop" from the Yin-Yang cd, though you might not enjoy the rest of the tracks.

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Soul Circus is alright! not as much insane basslines, but nice thick grooves!

:)

9. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    I hated soul circus, especially cell phone. Higher Law and Bass Tribute are good, but that's about it. And MC Divinity makes me want to hit something. Hard.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Man, that's wild. "on and on" is one of the sweetest songs I've heard in a long time by any artist, not to mention it has one of the most incredible grooves! But, opinions and all that. Thanks for sharing. Maybe you should lighten up with the 'hate' though, it's just music.

11. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Yeah, hate was a bit harsh, sorry, 13 hours i've been out for school today! It irritates me quite a bit though. I do applaud him for going completely against what he was expected to do. Just not my thing, really.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Flecktones' debut album + their 3rd album, UFO TOFU.
    Tales From Tfrom The Acoustic Planet(Vol. 1)- Bela Fleck
    The New Nashville Cats- Mark O'Connor

13. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    I agree!! His solo stuff is pretty bad!! I don't think you can "go wrong" with any of the stuff he did with Belafleck! Soul Circus is horrible! I'm sure if his fans demand better stuff he'd produce it! I think his fans are "too in awe" to criticize his solo work! I'd be hesitent to spend another $20 on his next CD. Check out Chris Tarry's web site for some great bass playing and some really "great" musical compositions!

14. MattFoxx

MattFoxx Banned

Oct 24, 2005
    Any Flecktones, but "live art" is my fav. Steer clear of "tales from the Acoustic Planet" it's a little boring. Vics 2nd album, "What did he say", is great as is some of "Ying Yang".