Looking for some opinions on a major change of rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Dec 3, 2004.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    I have a great rig currently. Mesa 400+ and an Ampeg 610. The problem is that I'm not playing loud rock anymore - this rig is overkill.

In fact - I haven't played with the Ampeg 610 in probably 2 years. I have been using the 400+ with an Avatar 12 cabinet.

One problem is that the 610 has terrible feedback when I play my upright unless I can get far away from it. That's not always a given in small rooms.

I have been toying with the idea of trading the 400+ and the Ampeg 610 for a Walkabout Scout combo. My only concern is that I won't have enough power in the even that I start playing in loud situations again.

So I was hoping ot get some thoughts from people on this.

I am also wondering - if i decide to get the scout - it is available as either 4 or 8 ohms. I currently have a 4 0hm Avatar that I would hold on to for situations where I need an extra speaker. So - which model should i get for optimum power at all times?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Frankly, I keep two separate rigs for such instances. One large, loud rig for the heavy stuff, and one combo for the smaller, quieter places. I think you'd be hard pressed to find one rig that could do both really well. It could get you somewhere in-between, but won't be fully suited for either application.

My opinion: tuck your 400+ and 610 away for a bit, you'll probably want it have it at a later date, AND get the combo. I know its much more expensive this way, but you will be perfectly covered in each circumstance.
  3. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    that's exactly what I am wondering about - whether or not the Scout combo would be a big enough rig for those situations. I've heard some people say it's plenty loud - especially with an extension. If that's the case I'd go for it and trade the big stuff.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if i were you i might sell the 6x10 and get a couple of smaller cabinets. keep the 400+, so at bigger gigs you can use that and a few cabinets. I run a modular rig with a demeter/stewart amp setup and 3 bag end cabs. the bigger the gig, the more cabs come out with me.
  5. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    I definetly think multiple smaller cabs are the way to go. Which is why i love my Berg HT/EX. Smaller gigs I take one cab, larger gigs i take two, and if your amp can take a 2 ohm load grab a third!
  6. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004

I had the 610 and a SVTCL head. (Still have the head - F/S soon.) I'm a huge Ampeg fan (keeping a 70's SVT head) but don't play the size of shows to need that much firepower - and don't want to haul something I can't move by myself.

At any rate, I switched to the Bergantino HT/EX stack with a Thunderfunk. It all fits in the trunk and has a *huge* sound.

If you do bigger gigs down the road, you can always add a 2nd HT/EX stack and a pre/power setup. I've said it here before, but HT/EX x 2 = far more than the sum of it's parts. As someone else here said, there's something special that happens when you combine identical cabs.

If you don't mind the weight of the 400+ (which I've heard has great tone) then I would definitely try keeping it and switching to the HT/EX setup. And since the 400+ can handle 2 ohms, so you can always add the 2nd stack - or 3rd cab later.
  7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  8. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Why not sell it all and buy a preamp that gets close to a tube tone (like a sansamp or ampeg svp) a 1 rackspace power amp like a stewart 1.2 and maybe a 4x10 cab instead of the 6x10. That way you can have a 2 space soft rack bag you can sling over your shoulder with your Avatar cab in one hand and bass in the other. Then for the occasional loud gig, the same 2 space rack bag with the 4x10 cab since something like the Stewart can deliver all the power you need if you bridge it, and a smaller amount of power using only one side of it.
  9. I think one thing that you need to conider is how happy you currently are with your tone. if you really dig the tube amp sound it is going to be hard to get that sound with a smaller amp. if you would not mind a less tube sounding head then there is a lot of great stuff out there.

personally I would keep the 400+ and sell the 6X10 cab for one or two smaller cabs. I think having a seperate head and cab set-up is more flexable in the long term then just having a combo.
  10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I played through a mesa 400 once as a backline in Vegas. Ick. If thats your thing, keep it and buy smaller cabs like IvanMike said. Or use it for a small anchor for your yacht in the Aruba. I love my new GK1001RB II and recommend it highly.