Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for some opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut, Nov 26, 2004.

1. I have decided that I want to get a Trace elliot V-type preamp. I currently have two options:

1) purchase the V-type preamp for about $250 and then buy a poweramp

2) I can get a V-type 300H hybrid head for about $450

the hybrid head is rated at 280 watts RMS/ 560 Peak, I know Trace stuff is generally loud but I don't have any experience with these models. do you think the hybrid head would sound better then the preamp/poweramp set-up? just looking for opinions on which way I should go.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm not sure on that head. trace stuff is loud for sure. you'll get louder with a good poweramp around a thousand watts or more for sure, plus you;ll be able to hook up more cabs to it.
    the trace all tube amps will have their own sound, but seeing as you are considering a hybrid you have more options. FWIW, the old trace SMX 300 watt heads were stupid loud.

3. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    You can not go wrong with the Trace stuff. Good enough for Steve Harris, it's good enough for you I'm sure. So, are you planning on playing venues as large as a staduim? If so go power amp. If bars and smaller gigs with a PA are in the future go Hybrid. But if your a dreaming bass enthusiast wanting power and $ is not a problem, get the pre and power amp just to cement the ability to get as loud as you want, given any situation. Besides, if you go with the power amp, you no longer need advice on this topic, your eternal amp decisions are solved and you can concentrate on only what basses to purchase in the future.

4. thanks for the info. for whatever reason I am having a bitch of a time making up my mind on this one. if the 300H is not going to sound any better then I will probably go with a power/pre set-up for future fexability.

5. David S

David S

Apr 4, 2004
    IMHO pre + power is better than a combo. That way you can add a second pre amp later if you find something or want to run stereo, or go with a larger or smaller or better amp later.

Also lets you put the amp in its own rack to keep weight and heat down.