Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for some relaxing Jazz..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phunky, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    ..that is possible to go to sleep too, really mellow piano and sax, no "breakdowns" with any screamy trumpets and whatnot ;).

thanks

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" album. Don't be scared by this trumpet, he plays very layed back in this album along with john coltrane. It's a very calm album. Theres only like 6 long tracks so you don't hear disturbances between tracks too often. Everybody should have this album. I don't use it for falling asleep though.

Edit: I beleive McCoy Tyner has some good sleepy albums with only piano, DB, and drums.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    My son had trouble sleeping when he was young. I made a 'sleep' tape for him with my ARP 2600 (you could any programable synth). Just set a really slow LFO to modulate the cutoff filter of some white noise... then I double tracked this with an hour long take of my vacuum sweeper... did the trick!

Try not to train yourself to fall asleep to music.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Go listen to Take Five. For some reason, after playing that in Orchestra (wha?) I fell in love with it.

5. Winelight, by Grover Washington Jr - very sleepy and relaxing, great grooves.

6. john c

john c

Jan 26, 2006
    Bill Evans Trio - "You must believe in Spring"

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I like white noise too.

Just take a portable radio and set it in no particular station at low volume. Works just as well as those phony rain machines...

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Manu Katche-Neighbourhood on ECM.

9. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I thought the point of fourplay was to stay up during the night...:bag:

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I fall asleep to talkshow radio every night. I actually pay attention to it until my attention span runs out and I phase out into a deep sleep.

11. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Marcus Miller is relaxing too. (Lots of bass)

12. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Fan during the hot months, fan with extra blankets during the winter months.

13. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    There's a three disc compilation called 'All that Jazz' which has a lot of smooth jazz. I haven't heard of most of the artists(Jazz has many, many artists - as you all know) but there really is some great relaxing stuff on there.

14. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I actually thought fourplay's version of watermelon man was better sounding overall than herbie's original. According to the credits i have read, it also featured Rick Braun, Boney James & Kirk Whalum. whats funny is that i haven't heard of any of these guys.:bag:

15. Here are some of my favorite "relaxing" albums:

Ramsey Lewis Trio - Appassionatta
    Mulgrew Miller - Hand in Hand (Christian McBride)
    John Pattitucci - Heart of the Bass (The ultimate CD to relax to!!)
    Michael Brecker - Nearness Of You:The Ballad Book (Great CD)
    Joe Sample - Old Places Old Faces
    Bill Evans Trio - Sunday At The Village Vanguard & Waltz For Debby (Awersome!!!)
    Bob James Trio - Take It From The Top
    Herbie Hancock - The New Standard (Herbie's take on some current songs.)
    Ramsey Lewis Trio - Time Flies
    David Sanborn - Timeagain (Christian McBride again. Good stuff.)
    Harvey Mason - With All My Heart (This is one of my deserted island CD's. Brilliant!)
    Mulgrew Miller - With Our Own Eyes

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life always chills me out, and Jaco played bass on it.

17. gdawg27

gdawg27

Jan 12, 2006
    Paul Desmond - Bossa Antigua. Very relaxing. (He played saxophoneo on Brubeck's "Take Five")
    Most of the stuff from the Stan Getz Bossa Nova years is very relaxing.