looking for some strings, please help me out

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jones_5s, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Jones_5s

Feb 24, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    i play a 5 string bass but i dont use the tuning B E A D G , i currently changed to a high b instead of a low b ( E A D G B) but i cannot find bass strings that are sold like that so im forced to buy strings for a 6 string bass and just neglect the low B, if anyone one knows where i can pick up a set of five string bass strings with a high b please let me know.
  2. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    You would probably have to have a custom set made. DR makes them upon request.
  3. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I tune my SR5 up from E-C, and found this out years ago:

it is WAY cheaper to buy a 4-string set & get a single string for your high B (~.030 or so) than buying a set for 6 & discarding the low B.

What they don't tell you is that if you buy a single high string, it will be a couple of bucks, while buying a big ol' B string will set you back ~$7-8.

If you go through lots of strings, you can ask your local music shop to order special sets for you (some manufacturers/distributors will do this; DR's done it for me/my local shop). or alternatively you could ask your favorite manufacturer if a special order ste is available & how to purchase. if you go through LOTS of strings, you could order bulk packs of the gauges you need & construct individual sets out of them.

good luck!