Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for some strings, please help me out

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jones_5s, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Jones_5s

Jones_5s

Feb 24, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    i play a 5 string bass but i dont use the tuning B E A D G , i currently changed to a high b instead of a low b ( E A D G B) but i cannot find bass strings that are sold like that so im forced to buy strings for a 6 string bass and just neglect the low B, if anyone one knows where i can pick up a set of five string bass strings with a high b please let me know.

2. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    You would probably have to have a custom set made. DR makes them upon request.

3. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I tune my SR5 up from E-C, and found this out years ago:

it is WAY cheaper to buy a 4-string set & get a single string for your high B (~.030 or so) than buying a set for 6 & discarding the low B.

What they don't tell you is that if you buy a single high string, it will be a couple of bucks, while buying a big ol' B string will set you back ~$7-8.

If you go through lots of strings, you can ask your local music shop to order special sets for you (some manufacturers/distributors will do this; DR's done it for me/my local shop). or alternatively you could ask your favorite manufacturer if a special order ste is available & how to purchase. if you go through LOTS of strings, you could order bulk packs of the gauges you need & construct individual sets out of them.

good luck!