1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for some suggestions on Cabs to go with a Terrorbass 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wordsarelouder, Jun 10, 2012.

1. wordsarelouder

wordsarelouder

Feb 27, 2009
    Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I've been a long time lurker and now I'm starting my first legit cab/amp setup and I'm looking for a bit of advice from the seasoned vets.

I play a Road Worn P-Bass and I love that P-bass overdriven sound so I just purchased a TerrorBass from a fellow tb'er and before it gets to me I'd like to try to pickup a cab for it too.

Now I drive a 2012 GTI 2dr so my trunk space is pretty limited and I need to be able to shove it in there with my amp and my bass has to sit in the backseat haha

As for right now I use a Hartke Hydrive combo 112c and I was thinking of going to a HyDrive 4x10 because I like what that gives me in terms of size/sound. In my band I've got three guitars blowing me up haha (trust me, I'm trying to make that two guitars)

SO, how say you guys, has anyone had experience with using the Terrorbass and a Hydrive 4x10 cab or anything else that they liked?

TL;DR
    • I have a TerrorBass 500 from a tb'er
    • I have low trunk space
    • Overdrive P-bass tone is where I want to be
    • I like Hartke HyDrive, is the 4x10 a good choice for this rig?

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    If you like overdrive, I would find a cab without a tweeter so that you get a less fizzy/harsh high frequency rolloff and don't have a crossover seeping the HF content even with the tweeter off. I'd also consider an 8 ohm cabinet so you can add another down the road. I can't comment on the Hydrives specifically but these are things I consider when buying with similar goals in mind as you. (gritty tube OD p / small trunk)

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 a good tweeter-less cab, or at least, one that can be attenuated. Have you considered the 2x12 format? GB NeoX 212 is an awesome cab, as is their Uber 212. Both have tweeters, but both can be turned down.

4. wordsarelouder

wordsarelouder

Feb 27, 2009
    I would be interested in 2x12 mainly for space and I wanted the Orange smart cab's but they have proven too hard to find :-/

That's good advice on the tweeter though, I'll make sure to get something that has adjustable or no tweeter.

5. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    My '96 GTI would hold an Ampeg 8-10 w/ the back seat down-There's alot more room back there than you'd think-
    I currently have a TB 500 that sounds awesome though the Ampeg-So that would be my vote!

6. If your budget was bigger a Barefaced bass Big Twin, or fEARful 1212/6 would be my recommendations for big sound per pound cabs.

7. wordsarelouder

wordsarelouder

Feb 27, 2009
    YOU MADMAN!!

haha, my guitarist keeps wanting me to get the 6x10 so i might look into that for size reduction, but I feel like 4x10 is going to be good enough for me haha

8. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Unless there's a reason you can't put the back seats down you should be able to fit nearly any rig, a couple of basses, mike & bass stands, and miscellaneous box 'o cables in a hatchback. I've been doing it for years.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I really like the Baer ML-112's with this head.

IMAG0448.jpg

10. wordsarelouder

wordsarelouder

Feb 27, 2009
    Yes, let's be honest, I live in buffalo, I don't ever need more than 4x10 -- an 8x10 would be nice and I'm sure we all love that much power but I'm looking to be portable and to be able to load more than my gear in my car.

So I'm looking for some unique setups where I have smaller speakers and good volume levels.

11. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Then skip those orange iso 212 cabs, I found it to be mud city with the terror bass head, compact yes, nice.. No.

It's not really equivalent to a 2 x 12, it's more of a 1 and a half 12!