Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for some wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HELLonWHEELS, Feb 4, 2006.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    i wanted to put this thread in the hardware section but since the guy isn't here and i would like the wood soon....... Im looking for some cheap maple to make a bass. I want it to be a bit bigger so i ahve soom room for error. something like 30x17x2 can be smaller. Links please

2. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    for cheap sugar maple or bigleaf or eastern hard rock maple
    you might want to try ebay and key in maple.
    Todd

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I second the ebay suggestion. If you need it fast and cheap, do a 'buy it now' and pay for fast shipping.

4. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    i got nothin. Do you know of a site that wood cut me a peice of wood. OR where i can get some wood to make a bass other than ebay. warmoth had some body blanks but i want something cheap cuz its going to be my first one

5. are you kidding me? "figured maple" gets me tons of results.

6. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh

figured maple is more $$ I think hes aiming lowfor regular maple for a body.
    flame maple and quilted maple will pop up hundreds

just search "maple."

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you're in LA, then take out your yellow pages and look up "lumber". Start calling, although not just anyone is going to have one 17" wide x 8/4. I don't see too many of those. You'd probably have a much easier time gluing two 8.5" chunks together.

BTW, search "maple lumber" on ebay unless you want a ton of furniture. I'm not generally terribly impressed with EBay, especially if you want something quick. Too many people monkey with the contrast and/or charge an arm and a leg for shipping and the prices run up pretty quick on their own.

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    And, if you're considering building a neck: make sure it is Acer Nigrum. Most of the others are unreliably weak.

Body? Whatever maple is OK.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Or Acer Saccharum. Both are called and sold as "hard maple." Saccharum is harder and stiffer, by the published numbers.

10. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have already called like every lumber place around nobody has wood that wide or the big chains only carry oak, birch and pine none of those would be good for a bass. What i think im going to end up doing is going to a school woodshop and getting a student there to cut me a peice of wood. Ill get it cheap and ill support schools. :)

11. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I have the same problem where I live -- no local suppliers of lumber, other than pine, oak, birch, and maybe a few others like red cedar or spruce, so I'm forced to go online or have my grandpa ship some hardwoods from California to me. I did see some maple plywood at Home Depot yesterday, and I was much impressed. Still, I wish I knew of someone local with walnut and maple and the sort.

12. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    How about Woodcraft? There are two in AL.

13. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Yeah, but Birmingham is a 2 hour drive away, as is Nashville. We're going on a little vacation to Tennessee this coming week -- my brother wants to go to Gatlinburg, and I want to go to Nashville since Woodcraft is there. Oh! No no no! I'm going to B'ham this weekend, to the botanical garden with some friends. GASP! If I could sneak in a saw, I could have all kinds of exotic woods! Japanese maples and whatnot! :smug:

EDIT: The thought of a wood-buying spree excites me. :eek:

EDIT #2: I've never been to a Woodcraft, and I'm all about seeing new places, so that makes me all the more hyper. I checked their website, though, and they don't list any walnut larger than 2" x 8" x 8". The width is OK, though I would prefer a 1pc. body, but I'm going to need more than 8" in length. Would they possibly have that width, in a longer length?

14. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Well, yeah. 17" wide maple x 2" thick is not at all common. If your local high school wood shop has a piece, then consider yourself (and the wood shop) lucky.

Another problem you're going to run into is that lumberyards don't want to cut you a 30" piece off their 10' board. This because shorter pieces are harder to sell to achitectural/furtinure dudes.

I know it doesn't seem like you want to, but gluing two 8.5" wide boards together is going to save you a lot of trouble.

15. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Woodcraft near me has various species, not sure about walnut. Mostly 6-8" or maybe 10" width, mostly in the length 6'-8' length range. Mostly defect free, but you've got to watch for checking. Some smoot, some pretty rough. Nothing close to a one-piece body - I'd maybe go to Larry for that - but why do you want a one-piece body? It'll be expensive wood wherever you finally get it. 17" w x 30" l x 2" thick, no checks or imperfections, is a luxury item, not Home Depot by a long shot. Trees don't just grow that way that often.

In my local lumberyards, maple 1x6 (nominal!) planks are one-piece, but 1x8 planks are mixed one-piece and jointed. The 1x10s are all jointed.

16. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I just wanted to get a one peice bceause of two reasons

1.) I odn't reallyu want to glue the boards together cuz im worried about how long the the boards are going to stay together and so on....

2.) I also wanted to get a one peice so i could change the shape of the body latter if i feel like it

how hard is it to glue to planks together???? any tips what kind of glue???

17. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    well if you use the right glue and the right amount, then they won't fall apart. i dunno what it is in wood glue, but that stuff holds wood together like none other. people use them to fix strap buttons, and think how much stress is put in those little screw holes.

18. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Wood glues these days are actually stronger than the wood itself, so if anything is going to fail (break), it's probably going to be the wood, not the glue. I use Elmer's ProBond, which is basically the equivilent of TiteBond. Gluing a body is not difficult at all. Simply apply some glue to both pieces, join the pieces, and use several clamps to hold it all together. Then wipe away the glue, let it set, remove the clamps, and voila!

Don't panic because of a little residue -- this can be sanded away. Also, the bottle may say that the glue dries in XX time, but I like to wait a few extra days, just to be safe.