1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking For Someone to Build a Replacement P/J Style Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by THSL, Apr 9, 2010.

1. THSL

THSL

Jun 3, 2007
    New York, NY
    Hey All,

This is for all the TB luthiers out there... I am looking for someone to build a replacement bolt on neck for a bass of mine... Here's what I am pondering. 36" scale length retrofit. The original bass is 34" scale length. Maple with maple fingerboard, graphite reinforced, double acting truss rod, drilled for ultralights... Please let me know if any of you are interested. I am based in NYC. Thanks.

Tim

2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Will the body have enough room to move the bridge to the proper location for a 36" scale?????

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I'm too far away to take up your offer, but you'll undoubtedly be able to find someone reasonable. I did want to clarify a couple of issues though, just to make sure you're aware of the limits of changing the scale of the neck:

1. Leaving your bridge fixed, will "move" the headstock further away from the body. This will affect the 12th fret balance point, as the 12th fret will now be 18" away from the bridge as opposed to 17" with the 34" scale. This, coupled with the slightly further headstock location will translate into increased neck dive. For some this doesn't matter at all, but for others its a problem - its up to you and your preferences.

2. Because the relative positioning of the nut to bridge is being altered by virtue of the new neck, yet nothing else is, your pickup locations will in effect "move" out of their current locations and will now, relatively speaking, be "closer" to the bridge. In my own experience, this is typically a minor change in tone, but if you absolutely love the tone you're currently getting right now, you can expect it to change subtly.

3. This may not be a problem at all, but since you're using the same neck pocket in the same relative body position, in order to fit a 36" scale neck it will have to be made with a few extra frets. Off the top of my head with no measurements, I'm guessing about three more, giving you a 22 or 23 fret neck. You may be able to have the person fit a slightly longer fretboard on the neck to ensure you get 24 frets, but measurements will dictate that.

Anyway, that's what I see in the road ahead, not sure if you were already aware of all this, if so, please disregard...

4. THSL

THSL

Jun 3, 2007
    New York, NY
    I gave it some thought and talked to Skip from Knuckle Guitar Works... He has done this conversion twice and didn't like it as it throws the balance of the bass off... So I guess the idea now is to just build a 34" scale length replacement neck...

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    PM sent.

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    It will affect the balance, but it won't necessarily become unplayable - it will just be a tradeoff. Some guys can't stand any neck dive and prefer their bass to hang perfectly balanced, but others don't care or adapt with a wide strap. Even though the neck dive will increase, its still going to be nothing compared to the inherent neck dive in a bass like a T-bird. Those things will drop straight to the floor when let go...