Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for someone to build a shortscale

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rapscallion2112, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    ok...so im not sure if this is the right place to post this....but

im looking for a luthier to build me a custom bass.....well, not exactly custom...but a shortscale (30.75 to be exact) with the body of an alembic series I

the reason im looking for a luthier to do this instead of getting the straight alembic version is that im not up for paying almost 7 grand for a bass where i could get it from a luthier for a better price and probably the same quality...not that i have anything against the company, they build great basses. but im just not up for paying 7 grand for a name

alright...thanks in advance.....

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Fretted or fretless? Do you have a link to the Alembic?

3. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    not to crush your dreams but I really doubt an independant luthier will build you and EXACT alembic copy. maybe something in the style of alembic basses but not an exact series 1 body.

4. Check out READ custom instruments...he makes short scale often, has some pretty excellent designs, and is a cool guy.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Detail out exactly what you want, and email the question to every luthier you can find to see what they can do, whether they're interested and what it will cost. You should be able to go very close to an Alembic (but not exact), and you can even buy their pickups and electronics (Activators) if you want to use them.

The other thing you could do is look for a good secondhand one on ebay. I bought my S1 privately secondhand, but didn't pay anywhere near retail.

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    can somebody post a couple of photos of 1?

7. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    ya...sorry guys, didnt mean to keep it so vague....

im not looking for an EXACT anyway.... but im hoping for a similar body style. i think the best part about getting a private luthier to do it is to see how they add their own thing to the bass.......

looks like this
    [​IMG]

im still debating whether i should get it done for me or just do it myself.....but its always good to look around at your options first right?

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I guess you want it fretted?

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Hmm counts me out.t

10. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Not sure if this is the place to solicit builders... I thought Hambone used to put the kibosh on questions like these in this particular forum when he was moderating....

Best bet is probably to ask on one of the discussion forums who people would recommend for short scale basses in the custom world. There are a handful of builders who have done some work with 30-33" scale basses that can be recommended by regulars here. Also you could poke around to see who does custom body shapes as opposed to a standard set. Most custom guys will not build you an Alembic copy (I wouldn't), but anyone who does custom work would probably throw a symmetric double cutaway shape your way and see what you think (I would).

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    FBB is right good luck..t

13. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    oh....sorry about that hambone......my mistake.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.