Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for something on a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JonnyBlackhands, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Is there any company that has a six string bass with tight string spacing, laround 15mm? I've played a couple four and five stringers with this kind of spacing at shops, and find that it is much easier and more comfortable for everything.

I have yet to come across a six string with that spacing, and was wondering if there were any non-custom ones out there as I don't have quite that much money for a boutique bass at this time

thanks

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ibanez SR506. IIRC it's about 16mm. Very narrow, just the way I personally love em.

3. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    What about the Fender Jaguar Bass VI? Spacing looks really narrow on that one.
    Peace

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Aren't those tuned differently though?

A regular 6 string bassed is BEADGC

While I believe the Jaguar Bass VI is EADGBE. Which is just a guitar but down a whole octave. Fender made basses with this tuning all the way back in the 50's or 60's with this tuning I believe.

+1 for Ibanez SoundGear basses really small spacing.

Also, Zon's have pretty small spacing something like 16.5mm I believe.

5. You missed out on the deal of the year so far - 6 string Zon that sold in a day on Ebay w/a "Buy it now" for like, $1,500. String spacing was 16.5 mm. Too narrow for me, as I'm now used to the 18-19mm on my sixers.

To that end, I have a 6 string Samick neck through I'll be selling soon - needs some new electronics, so it'll only be about $200 - $250. Plays great - just too tight...gotta get the new one first, though, before letting it go.