1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for something specific from an octave pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by venezuelanbass, May 12, 2008.

1. Ive been searching online and i cant find any non digital stomp box that will raise my notes to higher octaves instead of lower ones, anyone have any knowledge on any pedal like this?? does it even exist?:confused:

2. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Foxrox Octron
    Edit-sorry, I didn't realize the octave up wasn'y clean.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Absolutely. Here's one example...http://www.fuzzbox.com/our products.html. Scroll down to the COB (Clean Octave Blend). Despite the name, the sound is anything but "clean". However, depending on your needs, it might be perfect

I'm currently using a EHX Micro POG, and like it a lot becuase it is very clean. However, it's digital.

Do a Goggle search of TB for "octave up", and you'll find some more info.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Clean analog octave up is not possible. The only effects that can get close are octavia0like ones that add distortion.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Another example: EHX Bass Micro Synthesizer. But again, the octave-up is not clean (although certainly far cleaner in comparison to Octavia clones).

If you want clean, you HAVE to go digital. It doesn't exist in analog form.

I hope you're not avoiding digital simply because of the stereotypes... :p

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    AKAI Unibass is also worth a mention and has more options than the MicroPOG.

7. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    analog octive up, buy an 8 string bass

8. McSpunckle

McSpunckle

Feb 15, 2008
    Digital is good for pitch shifting. Electro Harmonix does it REALLY well.

I <3 my HOG.

9. Yeah i am not pro having a bass neck wider than my own human neck...

10. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    i ment strung in octives like a 12 string guitar, so not much wider than a 4 string neck

11. Oh ok ok. Got it.

12. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Could you give a (layman's) descriptions as to why not?

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    [steps in for Toasted, sans the elitism]

Other than the fact that no one has been able to do it? :D

Analog sub-octave pedals aren't clean, either. Many can get nice and smooth and dubby, but try playing those higher notes... and it becomes more apparent that the sub-octave isn't clean.

Anyhow... I'm sure Toasted could give a superior explanation. :bag:

14. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    analog octave up IS possible:

take your ringmodulator; signal & carrier are the same.
    say your signal (and carrier) is 100Hz, the sum will be 200Hz, difference is 0Hz = octave up; blend this with your dry signal to taste.

I have done this before with my moog ring mod and the cp-251 (bass-> multiple (cp251) -> -> audio in; carrier in (ring mod); blend to taste)
    I believe zvex jonny octave works this way, it even has 2 octaves up. haven´t tried it yet.

of course you can argue that this method is not completely clean, there are some (more or less) subtle distortions, "ringmodulation-artefacts", but hey, it´s analog!

that said, the micro pog is digital but tracks very well (though there is a slight latency that might or might not bother you). especially the octave up sounds VERY synthy to me...

15. yeah i dunno if i need a completely clean sound, i just wanna have the option oh going high with a decent sound, my band doesnt have a guitarrist so im always looking for ways to fill up the higher frequencies in any cool way

16. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    you want a clean upper octave? interesting. i've wanted this before but never really looked into it.

digitech whammy will give you that..sorta..?

and i think theyre planning on putting that in the chunk systems synth thing comming out, but idk, no sound samples or anything yet =/

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well he couldn't give a worse one :ninja:

:bassist:

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The only way to get and Octave Doubling up effect is to use two germanium diodes in a quasai-feedback loop.

That's why you get clipping, or - distortion :)

19. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Ding! You can't get a more analog octave up than that. Or you could call it a guitar with an octave down.

I have never been too much of a fan of any octave up out there, hence my continuing to play an 8-string bass. After playing one for a while, I keep wanting to find an octave pedal that sounds like that, so I can use my 4-string and turn it on and off, but nothing really comes close to the real thing.