Looking for something specific

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sigma B, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    I'm looking to purchase a new bass. I sold my Cirrus 5 String and I'm looking for a 4 string that fits the bill. There really is not that many basses locally to sit and play.

I'm really into everything from Dave Matthews, The Killers, U2, Coldplay, NIN, Slipknot, Metallica, System of a Down, Type O Negative.

I know my list is rather broad, but that's just what I am into. My budget is somewhere in the 1500 - 1800 US range max. I would appreciate any suggestions that you all might toss my way.

2. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Hard to beat a P-bass loaded with S/D quarter lbs, a bassass bridge and Dean Markley strings. Oh! thats what is currently plugged in.... :p Play everything you can get your hands on and remember that if it feels good to you then it probably is.
  3. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    The problem is that there isn't that much of a variety to try out. I was hoping to get some sort of some insight as to what I should check out when I get a chance to go and check some out.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I would say anything with a Jazz bass style, maybe even a used Sadowsky Metro, right in the high end of your price range, really cut through, impeccable quality, and half of those guys use J-style basses anyway.
  5. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Stuff to check out in no certain order assuming you are going to a well stocked bass only store.
    2.Sads of any color.
    3.Roscoe. Yea, the five strings get all the talk but Kieth makes a heck of a four string.
    Good luck with your hunt. What store will you be going to?
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Used Lakland 55-94 or new Lakland 55-02
  7. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    You might talk to Pete Skjold. His stage series basses might be right up your alley. You can view some of his older stuff on his website at www.skjolddesign.com or do a search here of my posts to see a bunch of more recent stuff.

Im also still ahuge fan of my Dingwall, and it may fit your bill as well if you can find a AB-II.
  8. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Judging by your budget and musical tastes I'd say your looking for a Fender American Vintage series P or J bass. Just go out and play as many as you can, and you'll find a good one.
  9. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd second the J Bass. I'd recommend a Lakland Skyline Series bass, the Daryl Jones or the Joe Osborn basses are good choices.
  10. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. Are there any other suggestions? I pretty much just have Fender, G&L, Ibanez, etc. There just isn't that much variety around here.
  11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Why did you get rid of the Cirrus. Did you not care for it being a 5, or for it being a Cirrus? If you liked it I would just say get a Cirrus 4 string.

I'm surprised no one suggested Valenti yet :)
  12. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    The cirrus just wasn't my bag of tricks. I just wasn't that into it. Mine just sounded lifeless, I really couldn't put my finger on it. I also, rarely need the low B, so I wanted to go back to a 4 string, although I wouldn't pass up a killer deal on a 5 string either. I wouldn't mind a valenti, and even spoke with him last year about building one, but I don't think I could wait the 3 to 4 months for it :|
  13. Sounds like you want an American Precision Bass Deluxe.
  14. Juding by your list of influences (Big Peter Steele fan over here too) I'd say anything that has a bridge pickup, and feels good to you outta do the trick.
  15. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that no man was intended to have just "one" bass. I should probably just go ahead and buy a Jazz Style bass and follow it up with a Percision as well, then later add a musicman style later, then something with a modern flair. It's just very hard with so many excellent choices and styles of instruments out there.