looking for something to use as a counterweight for neck dive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garth elson, Oct 29, 2006.

1. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I was one of those silly souls that went and bought an iceman on an impulse. It's actually really great, to tell the truth but I haven't come to discuss that. What I would like to know is if there is ANY way to reduce the massive neck dive it has. I feel like I've thought over every ghetto remedy (getting some copper pipes and screwing them onto the bottom of the body, tying balloons to the headstock, getting a little stand to hold the neck up, etc.), and needless to say they are unwieldly at best. Can I get a reccommendation for a specialized product made soley to fix this bit of irresponsible luthiery?

2. lighter tunners, a roll of coins in the controll cavity, a nice thick strap

3. About the only thing I have heard of is placing one or both of the strap pegs on different areas of the neck and/or body.

By the way, I love the Iceman design. Nothing silly about those at all.

4. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    worst case scenario would be needing to drill a new hole for ur strap button

Ray Matthews likes this.
  5. Ever notice that bass has a penis sticking out, in proper position on the player, as the bottom horn? :eyebrow:

6. I saw a female bassist once with a Steinberger with a marionette-type doll attached at the bottom strap button. It held her bass in a much more vertical position and looked equal parts bizarre and cool.

7. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Now Thats a helpful comment:scowl:

I will second the moving of the strap pegs or even get one of those super long wierd straps and tie it to the headstock?

8. Well, maybe it needs to be castrated. :p

A wide leather strap holds basses in the position I leave them out of sheer friction, should defintely help along with the other suggestions.

9. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    somebody should create a shoulder strap with a low profile plastic shoulder mould that can be slid and locked at any position...thus locking the bass is desired position....patent pending!!:bassist:

10. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    someone suggested to me to use a scuba belt weight, which is quite effective, but i felt a little weird using a big piece of lead to balance an instrument whose makers should have had the good sense to balance it in the first place

if you're comfortable with it ... you're call ... scuba weights are it ... 2lbs should do it

11. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    a roll of quarters, a new strap, a scuba belt, and a penis. lol SWEET! I'll try the roll o' quarters, because i already have a suede (high friction) strap and no readily available diving equipment. btw, it's a great stage gimmick to put it in between your legs and play with one hand behind you and the fret hand in front. good visual, lol

12. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    I've noticed on the "Steins", they added a plastic off-set to go between the body and strap. This simple piece of Black ABS plastic plate gives it a better balance point, without adding any extra real reight to it. Perhaps something like this could be improvized.

I just don't like the idea of adding weight to my instrument to get past a design flaw.

13. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    neither do i, but i've come to know this thing like the back of my hand and it's sort of become a part of the family (along with the bass i made in woodshop, my yamaha, my squier, etc.).

14. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Here's a different idea that really works. Ned Steinberger's company uses a device on their "Bass/Cello" that connects to the back of the bass. It has two padded extentions that you attach the neck strap to. The one that would be the upper horn (near the bass strings) goes up to about the 10th fret. the other is close to the center on the bottom of the bass (near where most strap buttons are placed). The whole thing is very well constructed and designed. It can be moved to all kinds of different postitions and fastens tightly with an allen wrench that fits into the assembly. This WILL solve neck dive.

The downside, and its considerable, is the whole thing will cost about $175 and you do have to drill a 3/8 inch hole in the back of the bass to mount the assembly, so I wouldn't do this with any instrument you plan to resell. But, for something that you will play for a long time, its worth considering.

15. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    I have the same problem with my Thumb. I love it, but the neck dive is too much. I really do not understand why it isn't provided with a secondary strap button position below the bridge. That would be ideal, but someone at Warwick thought that a bass should be played completely horizontal or even upside down.

My crappy hohner managed that, why my warwick can't...

The balance looks fine though, It's equilibrium point is around the 22nd fret, pretty much like my K5, which is well comfy.

16. brooster

brooster

Sep 7, 2006
    East Tennessee
    After looking a picture of the bass I would chop off the part of the headstock past the tuners and put some hipshot ultralite tuners on it.

Just to be safe, you could put a condom on the appendage.

17. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    The severed head of thine enemy?

18. if you can find one on ebay, a 2-tek bridge would do bassically the same thing as the scuba dive belt, while improving sustain

19. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I use my left hand to counter act neck dive. Is this really that big of a problem for you guys? My Epi Jack Casady is a NASTY neck diver, but it's not a problem to play. Same deal with T-birds. Letting it not hang free seems to solve any problems I might have with Neck Divers. Am I missing something here?

20. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    It's not the HUGEST deal; i mean, i bought the thing. But when i'm on stage and i need a smoke, it's a little hard to find something to rest the headstock on. I tried putting everything in my random-ass coin jar into the control cavity and it didn't really do much (maybe an improvement of ten degrees, if at all). The tuners are already super-light, but maybe some ultralights in conjunction with the steinberger weight would help. I'd rather not put a strap button on the neck. it both feels wrong ethically and qualitatively. thanks fellas!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021