Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for something versatile

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Supernova67, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    I'm looking to buy my second bass and i need something that is very versatile that will suit basically any stile of music,because basically i play just about everything. and by everything i mean everything from leynad skinnard,to primus,to queen,to dummu borgair and back again. and if that isnt enough of a challenge i'm only looking to spend around $500. $600 might be doable but is really pushing it. Also keep in mind i'm 14 and have only been playing a little more than a year.

2. joeyhimself

joeyhimself

Jul 17, 2005
    If this is going to be your second bass, then what do you have now?

3. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

fender jazz?

4. Definately a Jazz. I'm all about your bare-bones passive jazz, but I think the Active Deluxe outta be pretty good. Your call though.

5. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Deluxe P bass :D

Music man bongo!

6. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    Right now i have a cheap little squier. It's the MB-5 5 string one. and through my Digitec multi-effect pedal i have it sounding about as good as it ever will. thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep em comin

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Jazz bass.

8. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think you can find a good used G&L L2000 for around that, otherwise check out schecter. Schecter makes some nice stuff in that price range. I'd recommend either a C-4 for a Stiletto Elite. Definitely try and get to a guitar center. There are also the Ernie Ball SUB basses.

If you go used, a lot of different basses can be thrown into the mix.

EDIT: And yeah, you can't really go wrong with a jazz bass.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Jazz bass!

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Jazz bass, of course.

11. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Dimmu Borgir ;)

but a jazz bass will do! :)
    check out Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass

12. You already have a 5 string, so I'm assuming you want to stay with a 5er, correct?

You can't go wrong with a Jazz bass, but for $449.99 brand new at Musiciansfriend or Sam Ash, you could get one of these: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RD505

It'll give you a reasonably close Stingray-type tone, and the Jazz pup will tame the bridge pup's bite, and give you a mellower sound. I played one a few weeks ago.

Comfortable neck
    Construction seemed good.
    Very good B string.

A pretty good bass for less than $500 new.

Good luck.

Mike

13. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I agree with Micheal on this, the RD500 series basses are a great value and have alot of different tones. I also like the G&L Tribute series L2500 and the Yamaha BB 414/15 re-issue 80's BB series basses. All are alot of bass for the money.