Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for specific tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Pedro Lambrini, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Pedro Lambrini

Pedro Lambrini

Mar 29, 2004
    Hey folks! Am looking for certain machineheads but I can't seem to find them anywhere and it's all the worse cos I can't remember who manufactures them!!

They look a bit like volume knobe or like the tuners on a stienberger as opposed to the typical 'butterfly' or 'kidney' shaped ones. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I know they exist cos I read a review of a bass with them on it years ago!!

Thanks in advance

2. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Weird...I was actually fixing to start a thread asking the same thing! The tuners in question I've only ever seen on a headless TK guitar you can see here:

http://www.tkinstruments.com/id74.htm

I was thinking about it as being a possible solution to any neck dive on my next 8 string-I could use those tuners on the body behind the bridge to string up the octaves so that the headstock would only have four regular tuners. It would be a similiar setup to those old Kramer 8 strings.

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Like the ones Ibanez puts on the Gary Willis signature model? If so, maybe look in that direction.

4. Pedro Lambrini

Pedro Lambrini

Mar 29, 2004
    The GW ones are definitely closer but they're not the ones they were totally round with a really rough grip on them...

I'm now trying to find if I can buy the sure-grip ones separately though cos they might just do the job!

Jeez, I'm sick of my bass going out of tune in my gig bag!! :bawl:

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'm not sure what you mean.:confused: The GW ones are totally round (unless you mean like a ball instead of a knob) and have a rough grip.

6. Pedro Lambrini

Pedro Lambrini

Mar 29, 2004
    Maybe I misunderstood the review I found! They were described as 'sort of triangular'!?! I thought they were three sided :meh:

Well if I can find them to buy I'll probably go for them!

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    If they are (triangular) he's changed them recently. His originals are round.