1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for Stores

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassist15, Sep 8, 2008.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I'm starting to get pretty serious into getting my own Double Bass . I played on others' for awhile but I do not know of any stores near me. I live in Central Indiana. Thanks

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    check out (all Hail) Bob Gollihur's website, he has a listing of luthiers and string shops, I'm sure there's something near you. But don't think "stores", buying an upright is a lot different than buying a bass guitar.

3. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    You may need to take a few road trips. There are several places in Chicago. Grand Rapids MI, Cincinnatti OH, and Nashville TN also have good shops.

4. Get the word out in your local bass community too; like talk to whoever teaches at the local University, maybe put up a flyer...

5. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    He has a lot of updating to do. At least in my area, most of the list consists of either shops that have moved, do not have anything DB related or the guy is dead. I find the disclaimer over the Georgia section particularly funny as well.

6. R.F.

R.F.

Sep 11, 2008
    At the Computer
    Hi bassist15,

I just got a new Thompson upright bass. It's a beautiful plywood with nice workmanship and a great set up. I have the new Delrin bridge adjusters and a set of Spirocore strings (plus it came with a nice soft case). I bought it from Steve at <http://www.stringemporium.com/cheap-upright-basses.htm>

It was $1,250. I also got a Finale carbon fiber bow, but that was extra.

Although I play the electric bass, I am new to the upright (and loving it), so I didn't want to dish out more than $2,000. Nonetheless, the Thompson is very playable and sounds great, but if you are looking for a more expensive bass, Steve sells them too.

~R.F.

7. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    R.F. You may want to fill out your profile.