1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for string that suits my needs.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mastershake, May 12, 2011.

1. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    hello im looking for a sting that meets the following criteria: 1. last a long time (at least several months) 2. has good sustain 3. has a strong full dominant fundamental 4. fewer overtones less treble.

FYI i play with fingers

I realize that last part usually comes with age but any suggestions you guys have would be appreciated.
    thank you.

2. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    im asking for too much perhaps?

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Maybe a coated string like DR or Roto makes?

4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Circle K's

5. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    heres a list of strings im looking at

flatwounds: Thomastik-Infeld flats,dr flats

pressure wound: ghs, kent smith, alembic

coated: dr black beuties, elixir nanoweb,

ground wound: d'addario half rounds, la bella 760ql quarter round, sit silencers, ghs brite flats

6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    your choices are really all over the map, not sure how much help anyone is going to be until you know what each of these strings does...

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    This. My best guess is that flats is what you are looking for, OP. Try out the TI's.

8. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Another to look at / listen to is DR's Jonas Hellborg "UFO" string. If I recall correctly, it is designed around the parameters you give. Note that they are only available in a 4-string set.

I had them on a Spectorcore for a while; they were good, but not as good as flats on that bass.

They are now on a US Masters EP4, and I think they will work well on that one.

9. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Many flats fit this description, especially in my experience Rotosound, Sadowsky, and D'Addario.

I have always found flats to have more sustain than people think they do, especially if you change them more than every 10 years or so.