1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for strings for SR300, want P bass sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LotusCarsLtd52, May 1, 2010.

1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    What strings would give me a nice, heavy P bass tone?

2. Uh... That's more a bass issue than string issue, but flats should get you pretty close. Along with some EQing of course. Try some Chromes.

(Also, try turning up your neck pickup more)

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    None. You can get a basic P'ish sound with the SR300 though it wont be completely there, it'll be close enough in a kinda kewl modern voiced way. Anyway, heres how: 1. Raise the neck pup as much as you can without strings banging into it. You may need to put some foam under it as they typically dont have enough under the pup stock to allow for any significant raising. Then adjust you bridge pup to give you what is to you very good both pups combined and both pups but rolled a little toward bridge or neck sound. Ok, where allmost there.

Now, Roll the blend toward the neck, around 1/4-1/2 toward neck. Then starting with the mid shift control all the way forward, start rolling it back as you play string till you get the kinda P'sh type sound. Around the halfway point to bit more toward its full rearward (more treble) position. Then boost the bass just a little. Leaveing treble flat or rolled a little up or down to taste. Think of the bass treble stack like you would a 2-band active eq loaded into a P bass. If this give you a little bit too clanky a P bass voice for you, then lower the neck pup a little bit. Prob 1-2 full turns of each sides set screw. Also try with blend rolled all the way to neck for variation.

4. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    The SR300 series does a good job of almost sounding like variety of bass configurations but you just have to play with the pickups and controls as has been recommended, although you shouldn't have to adjust all too far. It will never nail any one of them BUT it sort of has a voice all its own anyway. I do think its P impression is better than its Jazz though. The main difference is the SR300 will always sound tight.

Throw on a set of DR Sunbeams and you'll eek out a bit more warmth which can help dial out some of the "modern" IMHO.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    O btw I think good P pup basses and the SR300 both sound great with roundwounds. My fave P basses have active eq's onboard them too, Modern P sounds is nice.