1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for strings that suit a 0.045, 0.065, 0.085, 0.110 gauge!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lespaulmarshall, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Hi Guys,

On my Fender Jazz Deluxe, the nut is cut to 0.045 0.065 0.085 0.110. At the moment I have .045 - .105's on but I am getting some buzzing on the A and E. The A should be a 0.085 so I'm thinking it may have been cut as it's a 2nd hand bass -the whole situation could be solved with a clever restring such that there is enough winds on the tuner to get good pressure on the nut. And possiblely the same thing with the E. I have two sets of .045 - .105's at home so I want to try this.

Long story short - what strings/brands can I get in 0.045 0.065 0.085 0.110 gauge? The Fender ones that come with a taper wound E. What exactly is taper wound? In doing some googling I couldn't find much but people either love them or hate them!

Cheers :bassist:

2. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    you should check out the DR site for their "HI-Beams" line I believe it is called.
    I recall a set being .50-.110

3. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    The buzzing is most likely from your setup needing to be adjusted and not needing to change you string size. Check your neck relief and string height.
    Taper wound strings are thinner going from the ball and over the saddles and taper to full gauge size after passing over the saddle. Hope this helps.

4. Ah that makes a bit more sense about the taperwounds. Are there any advantages or disadvantages in regards to tone with them?

Also my set up is basically perfect, been done by a pro to how I want it. So it's the strings.

Any more brands guys?

5. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    The Fender 8250 has the taper 110 E it is designed for thru body stringing it is just the center core that goes over the bridge saddle. BUT actually the difference of a 105 and 110 should not be that much difference unless the nut groove has been cut extra big and deep.