Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for stronger strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AbbreviatedButt, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Lately I have a bad habit of breaking my E and B strings. I've gone through about five strings ranging from .100 to .130 in the last 2 months. I play finger and slap styles, but I only seem to break strings while fingering.
    Does anyone of any heavy duty, uber durable strings?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Lighten. Your. Touch. Seriously, if you're breaking .130 Bs, there is some serious bad technique going on there. Let the amp do the work - if you're not getting the volume you want, get a bigger one...welcome to TB :p

Ray

3. I used to break strings- usually the D & G(on 4 stringers). I thought I was cool. Years later I tried light gauge strings & lightened up my touch. I suggest you try this- I agree w/Ray; no one should be breaking a .130, unless you're tuning it to high C.

4. Do the strings break at the bridge? If they do there's probably some rough spots on your saddles and you might need to get them fixed. I've been playing/gigging/making a living as a bassist for about 15 years and I've never broken a string. I doubt it's your technique.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Great point!! Bridge and even nut Burrs can weaken and break strings. Also bad geometry(abrupt string angles) do to poorly designed bridge and tuner areas can be a problem. If you play rough try to figure a way to reduce your string tension. I know this seems counterproductive but this will "govern" how hard you can play while still sounding musical.

6. Thanks for the advice. It turns out that my I moved up to a couple gauges larger than my saddle, had some pretty nice grooves worked into the metal from the strings. I suppose I'll see if I got it fixed in a few weeks.
    However I'm still curious as to if there are strings out there that anyone deems stronger than others. My current strings range from 1 week old to about 3 years, and, assuming I don't break another lowend string anytime soon, I need a new set but I definately don't trust the GHS or D'Addario strings since I've broken so many of them lately. Just seemed too easy.