Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for suggestions for new P-Bass pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by yoss, Aug 13, 2005.

1. yoss

yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    I'm on a gear buying frenzy this weekend, just ordered a Sansamp RBI and QSC RMX 1450 power amp, and now I'm tossing around the idea of eventually upgrading the pickups in my Fender P-Bass. Trouble is, I've never done this, and frankly don't even know where to begin.

I've got a 1996 MIA P-Bass with the stock pups in it. I play primarily metal and rock music and would like to hear what other pickups you guys might suggest I consider. Mainly I'd like to get an idea of what's out there and what different tones I might expect from them - focusing on classic rock/modern rock/metal styles.

I'll add that I like a classic/vintage tone - something dirty and growly with lots of full bottom, but also with some punch. I know I can dial a lot of that with the RBI, but I'd like to hear about any pickups that can help it along as well.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Seems you're looking for exactly what I wanted in a P-bass pickup -- hard rock punch with some vintage warmth. I first tried the DiMarzio Model P, which has serious punch and cut, but I thought lacked warmth. (My bandmates agreed.)

So I moved to Seymour Duncan Hot for P-bass. I opted for this over the Quarter Pounder, because I was leery of the mid-scooped EQ profile indicated on Duncan's web site. (I have an SWR cab, which is enough mid scooping for me!)

Thus far, I think the Duncan delivers exactly what I wanted. It's heavy in the low end, and the highs are pulled back quite a bit compared with the DiMarzio. I might actually boost treble on my head with this p'up -- or even turn up the tweeter -- with a freakin' P-bass fer cryin' out loud! Sounds like sacrilege, but it's true.

The key is that it has that vintage feel, with high output suitable for hard rock. I haven't rehearsed or gigged with it yet, but these are my initial impressions and I think it's a keeper.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
  5. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    I play the exact same kinds of music as you do. Classic Rock to Metal and hard rock. The best type of pickup (I tried out a few in other basses and read many reviews) and opted for was the Dimarzio Split P humbucker. Great warm tone with a little mud and tones of output.I wrote a review about it which you can check out in the Review section, as did someone else who also highly recommended it

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Actually it sounds like you're talking about the Dimarzio Model P... my weapon of choice.

7. yoss

yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    Thanks for the replies fellas. It looks like it's between the Seymour Duncans (QP's or Hot for P) or the Dimarzio Model P. All seem to get equal praise and sound like what I'm looking for, so I'm thinking it might just come down to price. Decisions, decisions...

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I've used the DiMarzio in a 75 Pbass I once had. IMHO it is an awesome sounding pickup. I think you would be happy with it.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey, cool thread. You sound like me a lil over a year ago :p.
    I have an ESP M-IV bass... P/J, MIA, maple neck/board etc. and I was looking for metal-esque pickups. I started off with Dimarzios... didn't quite have what I was looking for... went with Seymour-Duncan 1/4#ers... they had everything I wanted, and then some. Then I went with EMGs. They had everything I wanted, and a bit hotter output than the Seymour Duncans (active vs. passive - makes sense). After about three or four weeks, I went back to the Seymour Duncans, and I haven't looked back in about 11 months. IMO and to my ear, they just sounded superior to the other brands I tried. YMMV.

-Ray

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've always preferred the '70's era Precision bass as far as tone and feel, thus the Dimarzio is the perfect choice, being that it's right up the same alley.

11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    This may be nuts, but I've never been a huge proponent of switching out Fender's stock p-pickups unless there was a wiring mismatch that's generating noise. The J-pickups, on the other hand, go out the door in a jiffy.

Dunno. Just my 0.02.

12. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Rio Grande Muy Grande, very cool pickup.

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am planning on getting new pickups to heat up the volume of my MIJ P. I want to get it closer in volume to my MIM P with QPs, but I am looking for a more vintage, warmer tone than the QPs.

Could anybody compare the loudness of the Dimarzio Model P or the Nordstrand NP4 to the Seymour Duncan QPs?