1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for suggestions on building a bass cab

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by AusExp, Jun 27, 2012.

1. AusExp

AusExp

Mar 28, 2012
    So I am considering on building a bass cab. Any suggestions????

My thoughts / consideration are the following:
    4x12 cab using Bill Fitzmaurice xf412 design
    4 Eminence Basslite S2012 speaks

Any suggestions on wood? I was considering on having the cab sprayed with linex when completed. Would Birch be good or can I go with cheaper grade plywood?? Is spraying the cab with Linex a bad idea?

Would this be a decent setup? Do I need to worry about any sort of a cross over if I am not putthing in a tweeter?

Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated. I like the xf412 crossfire design, has anyone had any experience with this cab before?

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Bill Fitzmaurice's website has a builder's forum which would probably have the answers you seek regarding his cabinets.

But, if you look in the 'amps' section of this forum, there's plenty of players that built their own cabinets of every conceivable design. You won't find many build threads in the Live Sound forum.

LineX is fine, but there are other coatings that work as well. Some roll-on.

PS - the XF412 is a guitar cabinet...which means it probably doesn't have either the internal volume or porting to reproduce the ideal bass frequencies you would want.

In your search, you will discover fEarful cabinets, Barefaced, other bass-oriented Bill Fitzmaurice designs, Low Down Sound cabinets, etc.

3. AusExp

AusExp

Mar 28, 2012
    Wow...Thanks for the heads up! I was unaware that the xf412 was a guitar cab. Thanks again!

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Go check out the Amps forum. There is lots and lots and lots of info on building your own cabs.