1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dominic Heynderickx, Oct 3, 2017.

1. And I did use the search function

Good morning/evening/day

I am turning to your expertise with a bass-sound related question.

I am looking to open up the sound of 1 of my basses built with a nice red alder body; maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard; 5 strings over a 35" scale. Equipped with an EMG 40J (neck) and EMG 40DC (bridge) pickup coupled to the 18V EMG electronics, this particular bass is pretty mid frequency heavy and compressed sounding.

For metal and rock, it is really filling up the empty soundspace but the sound has too much pressure in it which is giving issues to have have it nicely fitting in the general mix.

What are my options to level out the natural midrange coming from the woods and gving the bass a nice pleasant bottom/booty and top end. I believe I am talking about pickups and active 2/3 band EQ.

The pickups can be passive.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

P. S. I am located in Europe, so choices are quite limited.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    First thing that comes to mind is to swap those two pickups. It's free, so nothing to lose!