1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThePhoenix, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix

Aug 5, 2011
    Have the Line 6 lowdown 400 amp and it has 2 x 10 speaker set up. I am playing my 6 string through it and I'm thinking of adding an external 1 x 15 cabinet

The output is 8 ohm and since line 6 does not make a 1 x 15 cabinet. I was wondering if i get another brand i know to get an 8 ohm speaker but what wattage should I loom for? The total wattage if the amp is 400 watts at 8 ohms

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Best results are had adding another matching cabinet. If Line6 doesn't make a 210 extension cab for it, you could chain pretty much any 8 ohm cab to it. The resulting tone would be hit or miss, no way to tell, but adding most any speaker would make it louder than the combo is by itself.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Can it handle another speaker? Meaning does the combo have an ext. speaker jack and can handle a 4 ohm load?

If yes, my first answer applies.

If no, you can't add a speaker to it.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1. What you'd want ideally, IF the combo has an ext spkr jack, and IF it's internal 2x10 is 8 ohms, and IF the amp can handle a 4 ohm load, is a matching 8 ohm 2x10.

5. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix

Aug 5, 2011
    Yes it has a port for an external speaker thats why im looking. My question was shoud i look for a 1x15 that can handle 400 watts. Or does that not matter ?

6. Yes look for a 400 watt 115 so it stands a chance of surviving next to the 210. That is of course if you must ignore saged advice.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    The question of the ohm rating of your 210 cab must be answered first. Is it 8ohm or 4ohm? Only if it's 8ohm then another 8ohm speaker cab can be added.

Based on info from the speaker pros on TB, adding another 2x10 of the same make and stacking both cabs vertically will give you the best dispersion and overall tone. Adding a 1x15 may not give you better tone or dispersion.

BTW, which 2x10 cab do you have?

If you go with a 1x15, how about a 1x15 sub with a built-in cross-over from LoPhat Cabs?

AX115 SUB
    * 1 - 15" 1000W Ciare Aluminum-frame Ferrite Magnet Driver
    * Power handling 1000 watts AES 2000 watts program
    * Custom phase crossover (20Hz-150Hz)
    * Impedance 8 Ohms
    * Frequency response 20Hz – 200Hz
    * Sensitivity 95.5dB (1W@1m)

HARDWARE
    2 x Speakon 1/4" Combo Output Connectors
    Lite Ply Italian Poplar Plywood
    Dado Joint Construction
    Durable Polyurea Finish
    High-Impact Locking Corners
    Steel Recessed Handles
    18 Gauge Steel Grill

DIMENSIONS
    23.5"H x 23"W x 17"D
    58 lbs

8. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix

Aug 5, 2011
    The line6 LD400 is a combo amp. Thank you for the advice

What is a crossover?

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Checked the manual. Your extension speaker must be 8 ohms.

A 2-way cross-over sends one frequency range to one speaker and another frequency range to another speaker to optimize the tone and power handling for each speaker.

Make sure the connector on your extension speaker matches then one on your combo.

Btw, the 15 sub I mentioned above probably needs more than 200 watts to get loud enough. A more efficient cab would be something like http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=compact

Based on post by the speaker pros on TB, you should really match your current cab with another 2x10 and stack them vertically. Better dispersion, less distortion from different speakers competing with different frequency ranges/emphasis. Preferably the extension cab used the same speakers as your combo.

10. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix

Aug 5, 2011
    Thank you Stumbo