Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for suitable duets with guitar

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by ole Jason, Aug 26, 2003.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    In my searches I have yet to find anything specifically written for bass and guitar. Anyone have any ideas? The closest thing I've found that may work is a Sonata in Em for cello and guitar by Vivaldi but I can't seem to find a recording of it. Anyone played any duets with guitar?

2. Hey,
    I play´em all da time....but I guess You mean classical music rather than jazz.
    You got me interested, so I tried to google up sheet music for g/b duets.
    Try for example sheet+music+duets, or add +guitar+bass to Your search.
    Lotsa stuff available, but go trough it Yourself to find out what You can use.

R2

PS. The funniest stuff I found was Bach´s music for two electric basses...:D

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Actually, I've played some of those with a few of my better students, and they can be quite fun, especially on 6-string Porkchop where you can play them in a friendlier octave. Some of the preludes and two part inventions speak quite well this way.

4. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    What titles have you played Chris? Yes, I did mean classical, sorry. I'm thinking that I'll have to transpose a piece from cello if I'm going to do this. Now that I think about it I could probably transpose the piano part from a bass+piano duet if it's workable. hmmm :cool:

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Jason,

I don't have the music here with me, but I've played the two most famous inventions (Fma and Dmi), plus a third that eludes me (probably why it's not as famous). Also a couple of arrangements of preludes from the WTC, one of which was in Cmi, if I'm not mistaken from Book I. If you have a notation program such as Sibelius or Finale, it's not too difficult to enter an invention in as a two-staff score and then transpose it to various keys to find what best suits the range of your instrument.

Of topic, how did your little conflict with Freddie turn out? I heard it came to blows, but you know how rumors are...

6. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I hadn't thought of the inventions, that sounds like a good idea. I'll see what I can come up with, thanks. Freddy scratched me a bit but in the end I came out on top with a devastating axe chop to the face.

7. Chris,
    I can´t say that I´m an expert in this, but I do play in a regular octet where the comp consists only of me, the guitar and drums. There´s no piano ( to mess up the harmony, ha ha ) and we have developed some ways to cope with each other and our five horns. Also the same comp plays in our quartet...
    So, normally during an octet gig we play a b+g duet( standards mostly, but sometimes we also rehearse more complicated stuff ) and maybe one trio number with drums. It´s a good contrast to the overall sound, and gives a little rest to the audience´s ears.

We don´t record our gigs, but if we do, I´ll ask how to contribute to TB. I only have some minidisc cuts, but that´s nothing to listen, due to the recording quality.

R2

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I wasn't sure if you wanted pieces that were in the more traditional "melody + accompaniment" mode with the guitar taking the role more typically covered by the piano, or whether something contrapuntal was also okay. I guess one question I would have would be what kind of guitar? I at first assumed you meant classical guitar, and was wondering if this was the case how you planned to balance the volume...my teacher plays a lot of (arco) gigs with bass and classical Guitar, but they're mostly Flamenco gigs and the guitarist amplifies.

If you can let me know what kinds of pieces you had in mind, I can ask him what he knows about any existing repertoire their may be for the combination.

Glad to hear you didn't let Mr. Freeloader get you down. :)

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Recording quality is not really an issue... we just want to represent as many board members as are willing to contribute. All it would take is a standard format CD of whatever you wanted anyone to hear, and it can be sent snail-mail as nobody's in a big hurry on this project. All of the duo sound clips on my site were originally recorded on MD, and I've found it's not too difficult to transfer the format to CD - all you need is access to a standalone CD burner.

10. Chris,
    I have a cd burner at work. I once tried to record an audio track to hard disc, directly from MD using the recording software which came with the pc audio card ( Creative recorder ). The files were huge ( .wav ) but the sound quality was OK when burned to cd tracks.
    If nobody is in a hurry, I´ll suggest to my fellow guitarist that we´d take time to cut a couple of duets, if that´s what you wanna hear. Making decent sounding mp3´s is the big question, but I can snail mail the cd to Sam, of course.

R2

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If you have access to a standalone burner it's even easier than that: just take a stereo 1/8" to 2 RCA adapter cable and record analog from the MD to the analog RCA ins of the CD burner and let 'er rip. It's so easy even a techno dummy like me could do it.

12. Oh man, talking about dummies. It was just now I realized what You was talkin..
    a freakin´ regular audio cd burner.
    That shouldn´t be too much trouble, if the original recording sounds good enough to listen. I don´t have one, but will have an access to one.

Olé, Argonaut:
    really sorry about hijacking Your thread totally.
    Please kick me in the butt.

Both of You.

R2

13. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    haha it's okay arto, I'm a pretty easy going guy.

Chris, it would be classical guitar for this particular recital. The guitar would be miced so volume shouldn't be much of an issue. Something more contrapuntal would probably be best but it doesn't have to necessarily be complex. I'm really open to anything as far as style, although something "legit" in the classical music world :D would be best. This is for my junior recital but it isn't anything terribly formal. Did you play the inventions arco or pizz? Which part did the guitar take?

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've arranged Eliot Carter's "Children's Songs" for DB and GTR and have to say that it is always on our play list.

Also a couple of pieces by Roger Sessions the names of which elude me at the moment.

EDIT: I've also composed my share of music for guitar and bass...