1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for taut strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jari Kurri, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Jari Kurri

Jari Kurri

Jul 24, 2000
    denver, co
    hi all - i've been a devoted dr fatbeams player for a few years (use them on my lakland joe osborne 4-string) but lately i've been thinking about trying something new. i've tried other dr flavors (low riders and hi beams) and i keep coming back to the fat beams since they feel a little more on the taut side to me. on my mexi-p bass i use rotosound 66s, so i guess tight-feeling strings are my preference.

anyone have a suggestion for other taut-feeling strings? i'd especially like to find a set of coated strings since my hands sweat a lot and it would be good to keep my strings from dying on me so quick. i'm primarily a fingerstyle player.

thanks...

2. Have you thought about trying heavier strings?

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    You can keep the same gauge and get more tension. What you want are strings with a hex core ie: Prosteels

4. Gee, the hex core low riders didnt feel MORE taut? I use nickle Lo's and they're taut as I;d want. I use the med light. 45-125.

5. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Heavy gauge is your friend.