Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for teacher in SF

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by shirojiro, Apr 23, 2002.

1. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Hi folks,

I've been poking around this website, as well as basslessons.com, but I can't seem to come up with very many options for bass lessons here in San Francisco, CA. I'm trying a lesson with John Clark, and I'm looking into the Blue Bear Music school, but I'd like some more selections. Can anyone suggest a teacher in SF?

Thanks,
    -Shin

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, I had lessons with John Clark!

If you can commute to Oakland, you should check out David Motto. He does a lot of sessions in town and backs up acts that come through town. If you wanna stay in the city, Jeremy Cohen (TalkBass Handle JeremyC) is a good teacher in SF. PM or e-mail me for details if you want.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Bill Noertker

EXCELLENT TEACHER.

415-905-4425

When I move to Santa Rosa in two weeks, I'm going to keep my lessons with him.

4. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I'm still on the hunt for the right teacher. I really want to find someone that improves my overall concept of music as well as my playing. I've been working out of the Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine, and it's really terrific. I undersatnd the major scale modes, but I never really got a lot of melodic minor and diminished stuff. It's really opening my eyes and ears to different sounds.

-Shin

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Call Bill. The sooner the better. Let him know I referred you. (Adam)