Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for "that" Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CardinalBiggles, Jul 8, 2004.

1. I may have found my ideal Bass sound. The band Chicago Transit Authority (Chicago), off their (I think) first album: I'm A Man, and the Dialogues.

Now for the question: Does anybody know what bass that is, and/or who's playing it?

Like I said, it's the ultimate bass sound in my mind, so I'd really like to know. Thanks for any help,

Biggles

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That would most likely be Peter Cetera playing a P-bass (white with tort p-guard?) :)

Now that that one's outta' the way, time for the next question: Is it 25 or 6 to 4? :D

3. Thanks! I love that thing's tone. Now I just need to learn how to play worth a d***. :D

4. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    It was definitely Peter Cetera, but he was more likely playing his Gibson EB3(?) bass than a Precision at this point.... :bassist:

As you can tell from my addy I'm somewhat of a fan! :D

5. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I saw Chicago around 1975 and I remember Cetera playing an EB3. He was also endorsing this Gibson for awhile as well:

[​IMG]

All the later pics I've found show him playing a Fender.

6. That's one helluva picture. Peter Cetera rocks!!!!!!

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    On those particular tunes and that particular tone, my money would be on the Gibson, although what model, I have no idea.

It worked for him, but I had a Gibson and that tone definitely did NOT work for me.

Must be the fingers.

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I just checked my copy of the album (yes, the ancient 12" vinyl gatefold type) because I thought that there was a band on stage picture on the inside. I remembered wrong, though - with the exceptions of Kath and Seraphine, there are individual face shots only. (Kath is playing an SG.)

Gibson, huh - I would have guessed P with flats (and a pick of course).

9. I could be wrong, but I believe Tom Dowd once told me that Peter played mostly Fenders during recording sessions no matter what he was playing "at the moment" live...I don't think he mentioned whether it was a P or a J (it was typical in those days to just say Fender as a generic term)....incidentally, Peter Cetera is a very underrated Bassist and deserves a lot of credit for some of the hippest grooves to come out of that era...great sound, great vibe, hats off to a great player........

T

10. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Just in case anyone is confused, this picture is not an EB 3 but a Ripper, and I suspect that's what he played, too. Same bass Greg Lake played a lot during the same general timeframe with ELP. Big maple body and lower-impedence pickups, a totally different vibe than the all-mahogany+giant humbucker roar of the EB series.