Looking for that cranked gain tone - tc spark vs pork and pickle

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WILLMAN, Jun 13, 2021.

1. WILLMAN

WILLMAN

Jun 5, 2020
    Hey guys,

I currently play a beat up old epiphone accubass through an older fender sidekick 35. Ive been cranking the gain on the amp and love that tone! However I wish I could crank it more than it maxes out.

Ive been looking at a tc electronic spark plug, hoping to just crank the clean gain on that, put it in fat mode and love it. However I worry I would get lost in the mix with my band if I didnt have some overdrive...maybe I need a better overdrive pedal. I was looking at the pork and pickle by way huge for that. Since its two in one I would free up a spot on my board.

And dont get me wrong I love fuzz, I have a green russian reissue that i use with a boss EQ pedal for that. I have been using joyo ultimate drive for overdrive, but maybe its just not my type of overdrive.... I want that low low that I think pork and pickle has.

I like to play Foo Fighters, the black keys, and I'm hooked on the greenday bass tone rn.

TLDR: I like high clean gain on my ss amp, would TC spark be better or do I just need a better overdrive pedal in general? HELP!

Thanks Homies,
    -WS

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I have both,
    And enjoy them both.

The P&P is excellent, but takes some time to dial in. Sure, it's got 5 controls and a switch, but it's also got 4 trimpots inside that tweak the output/tone.

The TC Spark is more plug n play, and dialing in a favourable tone is much easier, IMHO.

Not to mention the price difference.
    Last I checked, the P&P is about a hundred more than the Spark.

Both have no shortage of output, IME.

3. WILLMAN

WILLMAN

Jun 5, 2020
    Ayee thanks @dedpool1052 for the thoughtful response. I'm no stranger to tweaking and opening stuff up to tweak so im not too worried about that!

With the spark, im concerned about if it retains low end or if it will need EQ after it to bring the lows out. Also will cranking the gain on the spark allow me to be heard in a rock mix like overdrive does?

I definitely like how the P&P is two pedals in one, are both very usable?

Also, any reason in particular to have both/use both on the same board?

Wondering if I should get both from sweetwater and return the one I like least...

dedpool1052 likes this.
  4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    While I'm not an active musician, just a hobbyist, I don't think it loses that much low-end. And that it does lose, can easily be made up by the bass control/voice switch.

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    This is the way...

WILLMAN likes this.
  6. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Drats....
    Here I go again.

I don't think having both would be redundant at all. They both have their own voice, and can serve multiple functions.

Personally, I love the Spark as a sort of fat, tubey drive tone, while the P&P is mainly clean, with the drive dialed in for some harmonic content and "richness"

WILLMAN likes this.
  7. WILLMAN

WILLMAN

Jun 5, 2020
    This is the way.....

dedpool1052 likes this.
  8. WILLMAN

WILLMAN

Jun 5, 2020
    Welp I got them both! My bank account is crying but thank you for the tips brother! Keep on rocking!

dedpool1052 likes this.
  9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Check back in with your thoughts once you get them.

10. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Without having any personal first hand experience with it, but based on having watched several YouTube videos of it and reading the praise it has received here on TalkBass, I am inclined to recommend you the regular big version of TC Electronic Spark Booster.

The Pork Loin judging from the YouTube demos I've watched doesn't do low gain slightly overdriven amp nearly as well in my opinion, and to me it sound like you are really looking for something more in the line of a tube amp pushed into breakup territory, just giving your tone a bit of extra grit and bite to it, and not really a full blown overdrive stacked into fuzz fuzz tone, which the Pork and Pickle would be (though I could be wrong in that assumption).

Personally for that purpose though I use a Joyo Orange Juice (which is a seriously sized down clone of the discontinued Tech 21 Oxford, analog Orange amp style preamp/drive, but with simplified EQ controls and without the cab sim of the original to accommodate it's miniature size) set to a low gain overdrive setting and blended with about equal amounts of clean signal via one of my Boss LS-2 pedals, and I am extremely satisfied with the result.

Even then I have actually seriously pondered on still getting a Spark Booster myself to see if it could possibly take over the job from the Orange Juice + LS-2 to safe a bit of space and simplify my setup slightly.

Edit!!: Oh, well, just read further down this thread, seems like you went and bought both, which will make you capable of both tube amp pushed into breakup and full on fuzz tone, which might be what you really was looking for, so all good, hope you will enjoy your new pedals. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    WILLMAN likes this.
  11. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    So what do you think?

12. WILLMAN

WILLMAN

Jun 5, 2020
    If there is another homie in my position, I definitely recommend the pork and pickle. I love this pedal and always play with it on now. In overdrive, I usually keep drive low and crank the clean tone. The other knobs are at your preference. I havent found a setting I love yet on the fuzz setting, but thats just cause I havent felt the need to funk around with that too much yet. But the OD sounds great in and out of band practice.

The spark was ok, Im sure it might sound better on a guitar or maybe an active bass. (Rn im using an old passive epi rock bass that ive spruced up). The spark just wasnt enough oomf for me tbh. The pickle kind of does it all.

Remember this is all my opinion and you might prefer the spark! But im all Pork and Pickle in this matchup.

hieronymous and Zbysek like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022