1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for that Huge Bottom/Round Bass tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by triggervision, Oct 22, 2006.

1. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    I have a warwick thumb for all of my grittier sounding stuff. But, I also have a musicman which gives me a similar "edgy" sound. So, I'm selling my EB and searching for a bass that will provide me with a huge bottom/round sound. I play through ABM Ashdown EVO 500 with the abm cabs (1x15 and 4x10). I play modern rock and don't want to go over 1000 bucks.

Derek

2. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I hear there's some sort of bass guitar instrument called a Precision or P bass, but they're really rare and old fashioned. good luck finding one. :eek:

3. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Any specific models or brands you're referring to?

Derek Johnson

4. Gibson EB3

5. These semi-hollow basses come to mind....

Rumblefish
    Jack Casady sig
    Spectorcore

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hollowbodies are definitely huge low end machines. There's something about their tone that gives off a really warm bottom while having a unique attack on the high end when you dig in that you don't get with solidbodies.

Having said that, a Precision is a very warm-sounding bass that you can use on any gig in the world. It's got a lot of bottom end, but it can also be bright enough to fit right in with your Warwick. If you don't already own a Fender, you should get a Precision and hold off on a hollowbody. Or get a P AND a hollowbody. I firmly believe that everyone should own at least one P or J bass if they want to be serious about playing.

7. A P-bass will give you thump, grit, and edge.

From Jamerson to John Wetton.:)

8. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
  9. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
  10. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I'd recommend a Lakland Skyland Hollowbody. I have a fretless one that I'm in the process of selling.

The reason I'm letting it go is that the bottom it too huge for me. I'm more from the Stingray camp.

You should be able to find a used one for $850 - $900.

LeonD

11. I would be looking for something totally different than your thumb or musicman. Look where their pickups are, they are close to the bridge, which will give a bright edgy sound. Look for something with a pickup close to the neck. A Gibson EB-0 or EB-3 would probably be just the ticket.

12. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Exactly! :p

13. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    I've never been able to play fenders or laklands as I live in the middle of nowhere alabama and the only 2 shopes within an hour from me carry warwick, dean, fernandes and MM sub's. Can you guys give me a certain model of the fender p to look out for when I make my trek to Guitar Center? Also, Are there significant sonic differences between the Bob Glaub skyline and the fender p's?
    Thanks,
    Derek johnson

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'd recommend playing all the P-basses at G.C., and since they're within your budget pay particular attention to the Highway One and American Series. If you're willing to go active, other options exist.

There are sonic differences between U.S. Fenders and the Bob Glaub Skyline, but opinions will vary on whether they're significant. They primiarly stem from the pickups IMO. The Lindy Fralin pickup in the Glaub has more output, grit, cut (with the treble up), and clarity than the American Series pickup. But the Fender thumps as it should, and sits in a mix really well. I have both: the Fralin in my 2004 Am. Ser. Fender; and the Am. Ser. pickup in my MIM/A project fretless P. Overall I prefer the Fralin, but the U.S. Fender pickups are very good. The MIM Precision pickup lacks the low end clarity of the MIA, but still delivers viable P-bass tone IMO.

15. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    Another vote for a good passive P Bass. An American standard, or the vintage re-issue, would do the trick. I would caution against a Gibson EB unless you try one first - there is a reason that they are not that popular - they are very 'woolly' sounding which might not suit. If you wanted something a little 'rounder' than the common P Bass, go for a '55 or '51 re-issue of the original P Bass. And for an even 'fatter' tone, I would check out the early 70's Telecaster basses (early P bass shape with the big humbucker).

16. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Here's another vote for a hollow. My Starfire has huge bottom end. It's not muddy at all either.
    -Alex

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I think a Lakland hollowbody with Darkstars would do the job nicely ! :bassist:

18. darn, I was going to post a pic of tap playing big bottom, but I couldn't find one

19. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    I'd vote for a passive precision with flats.