Looking for that perfect bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mob, May 8, 2005.

1. Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    Hello all fellow bass players,
    I understand that these threads have been done before but i need some input.

See i am just lost, and dont know what a new bass i should get.

I play alot of
    -The Who
    - Blues
    - Hendrix
    - Pink Floyd
    - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

as you can see classic rock.

I was looking at a fender jazz in the time machine section but i dunno and I have even thought about a hofner. I jave played G&L and Lakeland, i wasnt impressed. So could someone give some advice that would be great.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Well...the Beatles and Who would suggest something fairly dark...That Hofner/Gibson sound...but I think you're on the right track with a Jazz...You can get the deep low end, but avoid mud.

I don't think you need to limit yourself to a time machine Jazz though...you could do well with most of the regular Jazz basses and a tube amp. I have a MIA Jazz that's great for that kind of sound...but I did upgrade to Fralin 63's, just because.
  3. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Yeah go for a jazz, very versatile and most of the players you listed use one. That and a tube amp, like burning skies said, and ur set. If you want that old school vibe you can always go for a Geddy lee signature bass, they get great reviews around here from me and many other happy owners
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    +1 Jazz.. Or Alembic ;).
  5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    A Fender Roscoe Beck
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Don't forget about a P bass!
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Ric 4003 comes to mind... or a P bass
  8. I play a lot of the same stuff, and i have found the most versitile bass is Jazz, Altho i have always longed for a hofner and nothing is better to get the sound you want then with an instrument that gives that sound. What i mean is if you want a certain sound don't try and imitate it, go for the real thing. or if you're like me and don't have much money, go for a nice jazz bass.
  9. Ruffus-hound

Apr 6, 2005
    I play a lot of the music you listed and, my set up is two j basses one new(03) one old(71). run through a fender bassman head.dont think you can go wrong with the jazz and a tube head.
  10. jazz bass, fender, KSD...i reccomend KSD ;) ...the 60's style one would be perfect, plus you got the Active with passive bypass

precision maybe?, '51 p bass reissue? fender sting sig bass?....maybe even a custom warmoth?

i use a KSD 70's style 5 string jazz, and i play in 2 jazz bands, a heavey funk band (ala living color meets chilis while listening to incubus) and im starting up a 2 bassist hip hop/funk band...the jazz suits everything...

but again, you might wanna chuck flatwounds on?..get ye old school john paul jones tone
  11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Shop around for a good '70s precision and be done with it :D
  12. Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    Yeah i only have about 900 bucks American. SO i am looking at a fender jazz.

What are thouse chrome pieces which are on the pickups and bridge on the Fender Time Machine section. How much would they cost?

Thanks again
  13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I got my '78 precision for 850, this year.
  14. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
  15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    If you can find a local one to check out, I wouldn't rule out Rickenbacker...you can get a used one for below $900 if you keep your eye out. It sounds so great for Beatles tunes, and you can dial in more growl from the bridge tone for heavier stuff.

That said, Jazzes or Precisions are always safe choices.

16. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I'd say for versatility go for a nice jazz bass. It can be used in just about any situation.
  17. Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    how much would thouse chorme covers cost?
    I think i might go for a jazz
  18. You beat me to it, James. :)

When I read the music you're into, I thought of recommending a Rick right away. Aside from the Rick's classic bridge pickup sound, you can get some nice Hofner-style tones from the Rick's neck pup. I think The Eagles' Tim Schmidt also used a Rick with flats on many of their early hits.

I just played one a few months ago. :cool:

A very nice, versatile bass that would fit your requirements.

Good luck