1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for that punk sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Riverboatshabby, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Riverboatshabby

Riverboatshabby

Mar 21, 2009
    hello, fellow bassists!

I'm currently in the process of building my own bass (a fender P-bass style), and i want it to have a nice punk sound (like the ramones, the clash, or even some earlier green day). unfortionatly, i'm newish to guitar building, and don't know that much about pickups.

can someone recommend some good pickups suited to punk style playing?

thanks!

2. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Seymore Duncan 1/4 pounders

3. something really hot. 1/4 pounder sounds accurate. might consider skipping a tone knob or adding a bypass for it.

from there its all about some good pick attack the right choice of amp. i have been told that most ALL of green day's bass on record was a P bass, and im pretty sure the clash used them as well.

4. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Yes to both Green Day & The Clash all P Bass.
    I would lose the tone knob . The basses ( cant think of his name at moment ) from Fallout Boy has no tone knob, same as Steve Harris has none ( Iron Maddien )

5. im in 2 punk bands were i play a pbass with 1/4 pounders and these pickups are amazing

6. 500k Volume pot and no tone pot. For a pickup, SD SPB-1 or SPB-3 (quarter pounder) or maybe a SD SCPB-3

7. P-bass, round wounds, pick. Mission accomplished.

8. Riverboatshabby

Riverboatshabby

Mar 21, 2009
    cool, thanks guys!

i'm ordering some quarter pounders right now!

now, how do i go about removing the tone knob?

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Very carefully. Im inquistive too, lets see what they say.

10. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Hi you dont actually phyical remove the tone pot. If you look at SD wiring diagrame , where the wire that joins the 2 pots on the left hand side you remove . So you really only have 1 pot the volume.

11. take the tone knob out, un solder it, wire the volume pot straight to the jack. real simple operation.

leave a hole where it used to be.. its more punk that way

12. Haha.

This is true

13. better yet, get a screw in spike or stud for the hole. now THATs punk.

14. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    He's here all night folks.

15. Stickers. Nothing says punk quite like stickers plastered all over your bass. They also make you play better. :ninja:

But yeah. Seymour Duncan QP, Rotosounds, a nice pick, and a 500k pot. Should get you more/less what you desire.

16. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    actually mike used a gibson ripper for the dookie album. though i guess that wasn't really early greenday. did he use a pbass on the 1039/smoothed out albums?

as for pick ups, my stock fenders sound fine, though i hear SD are good. I really don't think its the pups though that make the sound punk or not, id say its more the strings with a pick that make the "punk" sound :D

17. he owned a gibson G3 (not a ripper) but it has been stated many times that it was a live bass only (until tre cool smashed it.. the bastard). all of his tracking is done on P basses. the G3 just looked cooler in the videos

18. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    in all honesty, all you need for punk is the right kind of amp and a fender bass. 10" speakers, a middy and trebly preamp/head, and a precision or jazz bass. the stock pickups work fine too, so there's no need to get after market pickups- you can get stock fender pickups cheap on ebay- i got my jazz pickups for $15. i would try that first, and upgrade later on if you think a hotter pickup would benefit you.

19. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cheap P bass
    SD quarter pound, tone knob optional
    Ampeg stack
    Thick pick

</cliche>

20. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    p-bass with a pick, and you have to wear it so low that you can't actually reach the volume knob.