Looking For That Rich, Deep Sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Whitey, May 6, 2002.

1. Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    I know that there is a thread similiar to this already running but I figured I would post to ask for a certain sound that I am looking for. I have a Squier P BAss that has stock pickups in it. I don't like the sound. It is to shallow and trebly. More like a transparent sound. I am looking for some pickups to replace in this P Bass that will give it a Rich, Deep, fat sound.
    The sound now if I were using Chocolate as an analogy is weak and watery. Very Diluted. Yeah, Diluted is a good word. I am looking for the chocolate that is so rich and thick(but very deep) that you eat one piece and you feel like you just got up from THanksgiving day diner. The kind of chocolate that keeps my kids up all night tearing through the house like buzz saws! Thats what I'm looking for in my bass p/ups. Can someone reccommend a replaceable set of Pickups to acheive this? Thanks
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I want my bass to sound like chocolate too!
  3. Whitey, I can't recommend any pickups myself, but, what I can suggest is that you try out something like a sansamp D.I. box or something similar like the Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ. I have one (an NE-1) and the thing is amazing. It let's you take just about any bass and make it sound nastier or more subtle as you like. It retains the instruments own sound, but, lets you really mold it. I haven't tried the sansamp, but, I've heard good things about them. The advantage of doing this, is that you can bring your bass to the store and hear what it'll sound like right there without having to pull the bass apart and hope that you like the results. Also, if you find a stomp box you like, you can use it with any future bass you buy.

Just a thought.

Mike J.
  4. MaxC85

Aug 22, 2001
    Michigan, USA
    Ditch the squire and get somthing american made that should help. ALOT!!
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Quarter Pounder.
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  7. I'll second the Quarter Pounder, with a Large fry and a CHOCOLATE shake. But to really get what you are describing I would want to add a Jazz pickup as well.
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Thank you, drive through............:D