Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for "that sound"

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Selta, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hi agian!
    I've been looking for "that sound" (the one eveyones looking for ;) ) and I've played through Ampegs,Mesas, & Peaveys but none of these get the sound I want. I want like a crunchy, bottom heavy kind of sound. I've heard of Traynor, and someone wants to sale me one but I never played through one and was wondering if you knew anything about them? Thanks!
    Ray

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    hi again,

not sure what 'that sound' is - I wish i knew, cos I could then sell my expertise to every amp manufacturer on the planet and retire on the proceeds... :oops:)

but as for Traynor, I don't know much about them at all - if you ask in the amp forum you might find someone there with one.

WRT finding your sound, it's a combination of your bass, your set up, your strings, your effects, your amp and how you set it and most of all your technique... don't expect an amp to do all the work for you...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. i saw your post and had to say hey....
    i saw you playing around at the swr booth during the namm show in 2001. yer a bad bad man. coming back to l.a. anytime soon?

kris

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    thanks for that - I'm trying to remember what I would have been doing playing in the SWR booth... :oops:) - perhaps it was after either Michael Manring or Jimmy Haslip's sets, messing around with Michael's basses or Todd Johnson's basses... I was demoing for Ashdown and Modulus on a daily basis at NAMM 2001, and 2002, so maybe it was there that you saw me...? But it may well have been SWR...

thanks for the encouragment - I'll be back in LA as soon as I can find enough gigs there to cover the airflight! :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    for a 'crunch' sound try getting a 'death metal' pedal
    i just saw one in a catalog the other day for $120(AUS)

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I wish I had that much money