Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for that Sunn sound for under $600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by protoz, Jan 19, 2005.

1. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's a Sunn Coliseum Bass amp, not a Coliseum 300...it sure would shake the house.

Great description that guy has :rollno: , I don't believe much of the Entwistle stuff is true...I've got photos of his rig that show regular Sunn cabinets (4x12s, 3x12s) that weren't Vegas... and all 18s wouldn't have given him his preferred tone anyway...

I wonder if one can really get a Cerwin Vega 18 reconed for $65?

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    The reconing did sound a little shady since CV's new are way expensive.

4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Most of the John Entwistle pictures I have seen show the Coliseum 880 and the Coliseum Slave. The ones with the red knobs came out later. Most guys selling a Sunn bass amp on Ebay use his name anyway. It raises the excitement level.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    He used in the 70s 2 3x12s, 2 4x12s, 2 1x18 folded horns with Vegas, and two 1x18 direct radiator cabs, also with Vegas.

[​IMG]

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

any clue what make / model the 2 mics pictured are?

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    THE MICS!!!! Good grief, that's the secret to The Ox tone...

I wonder if he would have sounded better using Terra Labs power cables? :eek: :bag:

Anyway, I'll have to dig out either the old Sunn catalog that I have or the article that that photo came from (with two mixer like preamps and 3 or 4 Sunn Coliseum Slave amps). I don't remember if the horn cabinets on the bottom center are 15s or 18s...I'm thinking 15s. The 18s on the outer edges might not be in folded horn cabinets either. If the front is square it's probably a direct radiating 1x18, the folded horns weren't square IIRC.

Isn't it interesting that with all those speakers on stage, they only mic 1x12 and 1x18...

I remember seeing a photo of Pearl Jam and with the bassist's huge rig (2 bens, 2 goliaths, 2 goliath Jrs) only 1x10 was mic'd through the PA...

8. It would make sense if he was using a crossover I suppose... I wouldn't want to deal with blending in more than those two signals if I was the FOH engineer.

I doubt the monitor guy would've had any problems with Entwistle hearing himself on stage though :D

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Nope. here's the quote from thewho.net:

Here's the custom amp rack:

[​IMG]