looking for that ugly tone...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bradbains, Aug 31, 2018.

1. bradbains

bradbains

Mar 15, 2017
    b'ham, wa
    i've recently started a new project -- a three piece playing aggressive, noisy, slightly experimental stuff. i cherish my t-40, but have bought a squier p-bass purely to get more of that growl

two notes: first, i live in a small enough town that i don't have the luxury of hitting up a bunch of well-stocked shops to try out gear, so any constructive input is appreciated. second, when i talk about 'growl' and 'noisy', i mean i'm chasing a david wm sims (scratch acid, jesus lizard) style tone, with more distortion

my questions:
    -pick ups -- who really delivers that grinding growl? what i read seems to lead me to emg gzr or wilde/bill lawrence p-46, but i'm open to suggestion

-strings -- for aggressive, dirty noisiness, everyone at my local shop points out ernie ball's cobalts; everyone i know that's played them (all of them guitar players) gives them a big thumbs-down. i currently use heavy ghs boomers

-feedback -- a rat pedal gives me the sleazy dirt that i want, and when i play through my buddy's 600w mesa tube combo (with 8s?) in the practice space, i get all the feedback i could want... but when i play through my own 800w solid state swr (with 2 10s and a 15) i get none (even at ear-shattering volumes)!! i don't have a lot of experience pushing bass through tubes - is it something about the tubes that provides the feedback?

is there anything i'm missing?

2. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    Dimarzio pickups, rotosound strings, darkglass microtubes b7k .

3. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    If it were me, Id use the T40 and experiment with bi-amping: One amp/cab setup clean, and the other amp/cab setup dirty. I would start with using the clean amp as the primary and dial in the dirty amp to taste. Compressor for both amps, all other effects go to dirty amp only.

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  4. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    This. It's like you read my mind.

Bill Whitehurst and barginkov like this.
  5. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I've been out of the pedal/pickup game too long to be helpful with suggestions (though you may wanna ask this question on the Stoner/Doom thread--those guys know their business)...

But I wanna say good luck. Your new project sounds right up my alley and I'm a huge fan of David Wm Sims.

6. bradbains

bradbains

Mar 15, 2017
    b'ham, wa
    barginkov/warpeg- as far as rotosound goes, the 66 looks good, or are you suggesting the nickel-on-steel rotobass?

spazz- there will be no bi-amping (or even blending) -- all dirt, all the way! definition/low end loss is handled with the eq

mudd- thanks, i totally overlooked the doom thread...

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  7. Thorsoundcore

Thorsoundcore Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Capital district, NY
    From one Wm sims fan to another, gonna go ahead and second the use of a Darkglass pedal.. Can't give any thoughts on the original, but I had a reissue Rat for a few years. It didn't do half as good of a job balancing the fine line of dry/dirty as a B7K. The Rat also seemed to suck some tone away for whatever reason.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  8. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    Tronographic Rusty Box - Shellac/Lizard tones a-plenty.

TRONOGRAPHIC

Muddslide likes this.
  9. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Use roundwounds, Ernie ball nickel slinky is what I like. If you're going to use distortion, pickups don't matter much imo, but there's a lot there Dimarzios, Seymours, Emgs.. as far as feedback goes, you need to play with your gain staging.. get close to the amp with your bass.

10. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Might as well get a roadie or two.. :)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021