looking for the 6 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sarsippius, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Sarsippius

Jun 27, 2003
    Hey, I'm playing bass for almost 4 years now and currently own a 4 strings Warwick Fortress Masterman. I'm now concidering buying a 6 string bass but have come to realize that 6 strings high end Warwick basses (I love 'em) tend to cost a lot of money... So I've made some search in order to find a really good 6 string bass but at an affordable price (around $1000). I actually found that the A6 from the Cort Artisan series could be a wise choice. Even though I haven't had a lot of time trying it, it felt and sounded great. And it looked beautyful too!

So, What I'm asking here is what you people think of this particular bass, some advises and what other basses would you suggest to me?

Thanks in advance

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Artisan is a decent 6 for the price. But you can get a used Peavey Cirrus for that much, and it blows most other sixes under $3000 away, IMHO.
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yeah, there are some good deals on used 6's to be found, since many people try the 6 but end up not sticking with it. The Cirrus seems to be a good choice, and not too hard to find at that price, but I've also seen lots of used Warwicks and even some used Modulus 6's go for $1000 and under.

Definately try out as many as you can. Among other things, string spacing varies pretty widely on 6's. You'll want to get some sense of whether you find a narrow neck with fairly close spacing more comfortable, or woider spacing with a wide neck.