1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for the right 5-String bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Paget, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    ..and I really like the build/style and compact look of the Warwick Corvette series:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--WRWCORSTD5

I am thinking there would be some similar basses that I should consider before buying? Thanks in advance!

2. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    if you are going to buy a corvette i would say definitely buy used...you can get one for under 800 usually.

i would check out spectors, and pedullas (used)

3. Depends on the style but I swear by Ibanez, they aren't the most flashy basses but they are a great quality bass that I highly recommend.

4. Dingwall, Ernie Ball, Dingwall, Ernie Ball.......these will be the most common answer.

The real answer: go out and try as many basses as you can get your mitts on! This is the only way. What works for one guy doesn't work for me and vice versa. I'd love to tell you all of my favorite basses, but we all have different hands and ears that both can like many different things.

5. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I love my Lakland Skylines but some don't like the 35 inch scale
    img_0530.

6. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    lakland would also be a great option. is scale length an issue?

7. I would try to get my hands on a G&L Tribute L-2500 and a Lakland 55-01/55-02.. that should give you both ends of the spectrum.. 34", tight string spacing, aggressive, round neck vs 35", tame, wide string spacing, flat neck.. then figure out what you like/don't like and you can start to narrow it from there..

8. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The SR605s are REALLY nice and won't break the bank. I was playing one for nearly an hour at GC and for not being set up and playing through a Berringer rig it still killed. I was very impressed. The 505s are well-respected and pretty commonly used as well.

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Are you wearing high heels in this picture? :confused:

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yamaha is worth a look - especially used.

11. I was curious about this also. :eyebrow:

12. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    +1

13. Beepo

Beepo

Sep 23, 2008
    Oslo, Norway
    High heels and a patent leather jump suit?!? Wow! That is something new..:eyebrow:

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    :meh: Yeah, not sure where to go with that one....

15. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1

16. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Musicman, Yamaha, Peavey, Fender, Warwick, they're all good.
    Just decide what style likes you better and you're all set.

17. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    The Spector necks are super comfy compared to the Corvette's, IME. The body dimensions are pretty similar to the Warwick Corvette too, maybe a bit thicker.

18. Have you played a Warwick Corvette before? If not I'd suggest going to a local GC and trying one out first. Their necks are a tad thick for many players to get used to. I'd also suggest going in there and trying out as many 5'ers as you could. I'll second the Lakland suggestion. They make great basses and if you have a Sam Ash near by they carry Lakland regularly now so you'll probably get to play one in there.

19. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Get a Modulus Q5 bass, the best 5ver out there.