looking for the right flats for my Jerry Jones longhorn...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassment zombie, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Does anyone know of a particular make of shortscale flatwound strings with will work/fit on a Jerry Jones longorn (the holes in the tuning/peg keys are quite small) and have a tight E string? I understand that floppy E strings are characteristic of shortscale strings, but I think there are a few makes of strings that offer shortscale flats which have an E string thickness of over .105...I know that TI offers them, however, I don't care for the floppy feel of TIs, so I'd prefer other makes/brands.

Thanks in advance - cheers :cool:
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I had the same problem when I got an Ampeg AMB1. It's a shortscale but
    for some reason, the tuners employed were Grover Super Rotomatic g**t*r
    types (with the aforementioned tiny holes). I guess it looked good cosmetically,
    but limited the types of strings I could use

I found this online shop called North Coast Music that sold "Hofner" strings
    (probably made by Pyramid). The ends that go through the tuners are especially
    small / tapered way down. I'm guessing this is for the tiny tuners on Hofner basses ?
    They sell them in flatwound and roundwound sets (both 40-95), but they're not cheap

They fit my Ampeg just fine (30" scale) and the flats were fairly stiff (much
    moreso than say, TI's). But I wasn't too hip on the tone of either the flat or
    round Hofner/Pyramid strings

I ended-up doin a bit of "surgery" on the Ampeg's headstock to fit a set of
    Gotoh GB7 tuners I had layin around. The options as to what kind of string
    I could use really opened-up. I finally settled on DR SNMR-45 Sunbeams.
    They sound really great with the passive Seymour Duncan SMB-4d pickup
  3. Thanks so much for replying so quickly, notduane :)

Can I ask you this: how would you describe the tone of the flats you're speaking of here that you didn't like? Why didn't you like them?
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I had tried the Pyramid (longscale) "Gold" Pure Nickel Flats before on another
    bass and these "Hofner" ones were very similar. That is, they seemed very dead -
    almost no sustain to speak of. I figure, if I want that thumpity-thump-thump
    thang, I can do some muting. But if I want to let notes ring out a bit, it wasn't
    there with the Pyramids/Hofners

OTOH, I'm probably spoiled on TI Jazz Flats and their ability to "sing" :rollno: :p
  5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I useTI Flats on both the basses I play right now and tried them on the JJ Longhorn I had for a couple of years. I ended up using GHS Flats (purple silk) on the JJ as the higher tension seemed to work better with the short scale. Another problem with the TI's is that they're a 32" scale string whose E is too fat to go through the guitar tuners on the Longhorn.