Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for the right flats for my Jerry Jones longhorn...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassment zombie, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Does anyone know of a particular make of shortscale flatwound strings with will work/fit on a Jerry Jones longorn (the holes in the tuning/peg keys are quite small) and have a tight E string? I understand that floppy E strings are characteristic of shortscale strings, but I think there are a few makes of strings that offer shortscale flats which have an E string thickness of over .105...I know that TI offers them, however, I don't care for the floppy feel of TIs, so I'd prefer other makes/brands.

Thanks in advance - cheers :cool:

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I had the same problem when I got an Ampeg AMB1. It's a shortscale but
    for some reason, the tuners employed were Grover Super Rotomatic g**t*r
    types (with the aforementioned tiny holes). I guess it looked good cosmetically,
    but limited the types of strings I could use

I found this online shop called North Coast Music that sold "Hofner" strings
    (probably made by Pyramid). The ends that go through the tuners are especially
    small / tapered way down. I'm guessing this is for the tiny tuners on Hofner basses ?
    They sell them in flatwound and roundwound sets (both 40-95), but they're not cheap

They fit my Ampeg just fine (30" scale) and the flats were fairly stiff (much
    moreso than say, TI's). But I wasn't too hip on the tone of either the flat or
    round Hofner/Pyramid strings

I ended-up doin a bit of "surgery" on the Ampeg's headstock to fit a set of
    Gotoh GB7 tuners I had layin around. The options as to what kind of string
    I could use really opened-up. I finally settled on DR SNMR-45 Sunbeams.
    They sound really great with the passive Seymour Duncan SMB-4d pickup

3. Thanks so much for replying so quickly, notduane :)

Can I ask you this: how would you describe the tone of the flats you're speaking of here that you didn't like? Why didn't you like them?

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I had tried the Pyramid (longscale) "Gold" Pure Nickel Flats before on another
    bass and these "Hofner" ones were very similar. That is, they seemed very dead -
    almost no sustain to speak of. I figure, if I want that thumpity-thump-thump
    thang, I can do some muting. But if I want to let notes ring out a bit, it wasn't
    there with the Pyramids/Hofners

OTOH, I'm probably spoiled on TI Jazz Flats and their ability to "sing" :rollno: :p

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I useTI Flats on both the basses I play right now and tried them on the JJ Longhorn I had for a couple of years. I ended up using GHS Flats (purple silk) on the JJ as the higher tension seemed to work better with the short scale. Another problem with the TI's is that they're a 32" scale string whose E is too fat to go through the guitar tuners on the Longhorn.