1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for the right Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JDLowEnd, Nov 16, 2018.

1. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT
    So recently the band that I am in has starting covering "Jet" by Wings and it's definitely a fun song. I am trying to emulate that synth part during the verses with bass. I am thinking a fuzz pedal should do the trick. I am wondering what would work best, I know some fuzzes "choke" on the initial note or note change, but I am looking for something that is smoother that almost sounds like infinite sustain but can pick up each note that is played. That makes sense to me in my head.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Even though you don't want a gated fuzz, the synth emulating the horns has a gated quality to it. An octave down running into the fuzz you choose would help as well.

3. Just listened to it, what a fun song! You need a gated fuzz and perhaps an analog octave pedal.
    The Smallsound/bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine and Shoe Pixel are two of my favorites.

pellomoco14 likes this.
  4. I just ran my Octabvre Mini into my Spaceman Nebula and got pretty good results.

Robertron likes this.
  5. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Two pedals in my GAS list. Got any clips?

jazznrick likes this.
  6. Sorry, my only recording device is my phone and you would miss the sub goodness. Zach Rizer has a great demo of the Nebula with an OC-2

7. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Nice thank you I'll check that out!

8. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Oc2 -> wooly mammoth works great for me.

Edit: I built my own wooly mammoth clone, and put an input impedance knob before the circuitry so that it works well after the oc2.

pellomoco14 likes this.
  9. I use not a fuzz, but my MXR M89 overdrive, I can get a lot of different sound. And they are not expensive used.

10. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I’ve been using fuzz on Jet for years. It’s sounds fantastic with fuzz. The fuzz really adds something special to such a simple bass part.

I’ve been using a Malekko B:assmaster. The Maestro Brassmaster that the Malekko was based on was initially designed to emulate horns. It’s a great fit.

Will try to do a quick video later today.

11. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I think the Team Awesome Fuzz Machine would get you there, or at least pretty close.

12. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    That distorted low sound you’re hearing is not a bass in that song. That’s either a Bari sax or keyboard or both.

Personally, if I were playing the song, I’ve either Ask the keyboard to cover it or simply leave it out. I don’t see any added value inn trying to re-create it, and I don’t see any harm in omitting it.

But since you asked how to re-create it, I would split your signal, add a gated fuzz and EQ the Lows out of that fuzz. So you’re bottom end is clean, And the top has the fuzz.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  13. True, I played along to it last night.
    An oc-2 (for the synth signal "oct. 1"only)> tafm was very passable.
    Tafm gate on w/ input gain dimed (to easily defeat gate), fuzz output low/clean out high.
    It's 2/3 of my typical synth sound w/o envelope fltr.
    If I didn't have those at my feet. Just about any sub oct.>fuzz combo should get close enough.

14. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    OC-2 plus any dirt ftw

jazznrick likes this.
  15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    If I understand what you are after, maybe unpleasant surprise (possibly running into chorus or flanger or...) might do it.

16. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT
    Yea I strongly believe its a keyboard synth making the sustained note. Since the bassline is simple and pretty much follows that I thought a simple fuzz would work.

I also like the idea of running an octave as well. Time to start looking at quality octave fuzz's that track well. I've been a huge fan of octave lower on the bass as I feel most of the notes are lost unless playing high and tight on the fretboard, but I will look at giving this a whirl.

17. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Instagram clip of Jet with Malekko B:assmaster:

jazznrick likes this.