Looking for the right string gauges to be able to work anywhere between Drop F and A standard.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheLowNoteGuy, Apr 25, 2019.

1. TheLowNoteGuy

TheLowNoteGuy

Feb 20, 2019
    I have a dingwall ng-3 and all the bands I play in range from Drop F# to A standard. Currently on .130-.45 string set which works well for A standard but pretty bad for f#.
    any tips?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

The typical answer to this is a capo but it may be a difficult to implement on a Dingwall.

It's hard for me to recommend jauges for the same reasons. Fanned scales change the usual jauge to the perception.

For such extreme changes I'd recommend either tuning permanently to the lowest tuning and changing your fingerings or having at least one other bass.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    F#C#F#BE <-> ADGCF?
    No problem, the lowest string has a retuning range of 3 semitones (doable), the higher strings have a retuning range of 1 semitone (no problem).

Looking at the Kalium tension calculator (set to 37") to approximate other brands:
    Something around .145 looks like it's tension will go from 28lbs at F# to 40lbs at A.
    I find roughly 30lbs a minimum tension for big gauges like that.
    I suggest trying something around .145 first.

For the higher strings, if they really are too loose for you in drop F# just increase the gauges by .005.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  4. TheLowNoteGuy

TheLowNoteGuy

Feb 20, 2019
    Thank you! Ill be sure to give it a try.

5. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    I've never tuned down further than drop Db on a 4 string, but I'd highly recommend you check out DR Strings' DDT strings. Not only do they play really well in drop tuning, their tuning is very stable, the intonation stays great even when drop tuned, and they still sound really good at lower tensions. I think they make sets as heavy as .135, but they also sell single .145 B strings, if you wanted to put it with a 4-string set of DDTs that's a little lighter. This may be worth considering if you're in drop tunings more often than shifted tunings.

Regardless, good luck in your search!