Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for the ultimate combo amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rulyøngo, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Hello fellow bassists,I'm an Ampeg SVT + SWR Goliath SR. user and I'm thinking of getting a combo amp for smaller gigs, what would you recommend?

:confused:

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I like my GK1001RB2x10, and i also like just my 115RBH running off of the 1001 all my itself. You can get either in a combo, which would make a pretty good decision.
    Wes

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    what are you looking for?

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    without a doubt, the EA iAMP350 combo. its more on the clean, clear, crisp side, but amazingly detailed. tho, it uses only a 10" speaker, its got massive punch in the low end booty.

[​IMG]

or if you need something more affordable and lighter, tho not as powerful, GK's M150E series is great! more on the clear, clear, and again, crisp side, but a very nice package.

[​IMG]

if you need some tubey grit and dirt, you could always stick a Sansamp Bass DI in their loops for some SVT like grindage.

i'd recommend Ampeg's new "Portabass" series, but they're not all that lightweight, and tonally, sound ok. the GK's much lighter, and IMHO, sounds more detailed and has a more versatile EQ.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    strangely, i just noticed that EA no longer offers the 350 combo! instead, they've upped it with the Wizzy 200 and 800.

the Wizzy uses the lighter 12" neo speaker, so its a nice 37 lbs., while the bigger more powerful 800 uses the usual bone jarring CXL112 12" speaker cab.

havent tried either one, but i can only imagine them sounding just as killer as the previous 350 combo.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you need something larger, you cant go wrong with a 2x10 Eden Metro. killer tones.

[​IMG]

the SWR Redhead is ok, but the ones i've tried have all sounded rather thin and brittle no matter what i did with the EQ. :(

7. id honestly look into EBS. price is lil high, but ive heard good stuff from them

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The EBS Gorm 210 is very good. Heavy though, and pricey.

The 12" Drome is louder than expected, but needs some warming up (read: SABDDI), and is perhaps not loud enough for you.

9. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I second the Eden! I played through one yesterday, and I was all like totally! :) Of course, I like a hi-fi Wooten/Manring-ish sound, so take that as you will.

10. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    jokerjkny just about covered the good ones. My favorite is the iAmp350 combo. They can still found used for about $800 in real good shape. You can also still buy the head and cab separate and still be portable. For smaller gigs I use the combo alone and for a little larger gigs I add the CXL110 extension cab. This combo never ceases to amaze me. It may be the only amp you'll ever need.

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Carvin make a pretty damn monsterous 2x10 with a 1x15 in there aswell.

12. Carvin doesn't put 2 10s in with that 15, those are 8's!:cool: Check their website. I think its a solid amp, but I'm not crazy about the tone, too 'glassy' for upright, but it gets you heard with plenty of headroom... I wouldnt hesitate owning one though... rugged as hell and gives you a lot of tonal shaping abilities...

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fender Bassman 400.

14. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    second on the fender. Maybe look at that new one fender just started advertising.

15. thanks for your help...

I'm between the ebs and the ashdown combos...:bassist:

16. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    The Mesa Boogie Venture will kick anthing else off the floor.

17. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I thought we were just loking for beastly lookin combos

ma bad

18. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I'm considering selling my EBS combo -- it's a 210 Taurus, the predecessor to the Gorm. 240W into the 210, plus chorus and octaver. I'm looking for around $650 or so.

It's clean, though. If you're an ampeg guy you might want something more tubey...

19. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    My favorite is the SWR Super Redhead. Pop a Telefunken ECC83 in that preamp and you've got one fine sounding combo that can handle many gigs.

I also like the Ampeg B100R and B50R. They are great sounding amps.

Chuck