1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for uber flexible rackmount DAW-like eq

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by GentProvocateur, Apr 29, 2018.

1. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

I'm looking for a rackmount (or other format) eq like Garageband's or other DAW eq that has at least the following:
    - [most important] High and Low pass filters, up to -36 or -48db/octave and adjustable q/resonance
    - five bands of fully parametric eq, with adjustable frequencies, Q, and gain
    - xlr in and out that doesn't add much distortion (generally higher quality).

Treble and bass shelving controls would also be cool, both with control over corner frequency, +/- gain, and q control. It'd be nice to also have xlr in and out.

Ideally, under $500. Anything like this out there? Can be digital, rackmount, or any other physical format. Is there something like this?

I would be using this as a user-created cab sim of sorts, installed between my preamp and power amp.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. GentProvocateur

Behringer DEQ2496? I can't find whether there are high and low pass filters with adjustable slopes

3. GentProvocateur

Alternatively, I already have a Rane PE-17, so I could also just be looking something that has fully adjustable high and low pass filters capable of -36db per octave and resonance controls.

31HZ likes this.

4. I’ve never seen a rack EQ with all that. You’ll probably have the best luck with a so-called digital speaker processor. Lots of pro audio companies make them; you’ll have to pore over the manuals to see what all their functions are. The closest thing you’re probably going to find in a stand-alone equalizer is the vintage Yamaha YDP2006 digital parametric. It has 24 dB/octave high and low pass, can operate as 6-band stereo or 12-band mono, and has shelving controls, but no Q adjustment for them.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ecclesia: Unique Arrangements of Hymns, P&W Standards, and Original Tunes
    Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club #133
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly
    My Basses

GentProvocateur likes this.
  5. GentProvocateur

Thanks! Any recommendations on DSPs? I don't know much about them

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018

6. Not sure what you mean by “recanted,” but if you’re asking for recommendations for speaker processors, I haven’t personally used any of them. I just know that they’re typically really flexible, the only thing I’ve seen with the super-steep filter slopes you’re looking for.

However, I have used the Yamaha YDP2006, and it’s a stellar equalizer. Digital, but largely interfaces like an analog parametric.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Basses

7. GentProvocateur

oops. Recommendations, not recanted. old iPhone plus big fingers a confusing response does make. I'll check out the Yamaha unit :thumbsup:

8. LOL, gotta love the phones!

Here’s a nifty review I did of the Yamaha. Mainly relating to home theater use, but you should still be able to get a lot of it.

Review: Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric Equalizer - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Basses

9. wesg

wesg

Mar 14, 2013
    How many channels of EQ do you need? If the X-Air mixers are as flexible as the X32 line, you could just buy an XR12, patch each input to an output and use the parametric on the EQ tab of the channel strip?

X32 rack would definitely do the job, give you ... ah.... 14 channels of EQ? I don't know the X-Air line, just suggesting it because of the price point.

10. Look up the dbx DriveRack series - one of those will do pretty much everything you're asking for, plus plenty extra.

Xilica also do some great units if dbx are a no-go for any reason.

These units are designed to process audio for big PA systems, so fidelity is key - unless you set it up wrong you won't have any issues with signal quality.

The biggest challenge with using one of these units in your rig will be making sure that there's nothing in the signal chain that you aren't expecting - most DSPs are used to matrix a pair of signals (say the Left and Right from a mixing desk) to an array of speakers and subs in the room - you can set limiters, crossovers, time delays, and all sorts of other things that are useful tools when setting up a PA, but will royally screw with your bass tone if they're left on by accident. Definitely worth reading the manual!

GentProvocateur and WayneP like this.
  11. GentProvocateur

After diving into the user manuals, the dbx units only have high and low pass shelving instead of filters, and only -12db. Xilica units have low and high pass filters up to -48db but no resonance controls over the corner frequencies. Not really an issue though with all the other bands of parametric eq. Too bad Xilica units are outside my price range.

Given the ubiquity of rackmount eq units I'm surprised there isn't a digital eq that's just a house for the powerful and easy to use EQs on DAWs and nothing else. I use the visual eq on Garageband as a customizable cab sim of sorts. Maybe I should be looking at tablet based mixers, but I really don't want to get that many new components

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    WayneP likes this.
  12. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Ross makes a nice rack parametric eq with hp and lp filters

13. You should be able to use the crossover function of the dbx for the LP/HP filters? You would essentially use the 'mid band' for your output, and you would just not connect the low and high band outputs to anything. You can choose the slope and filter type... Would that fit the bill?

14. Here are some others you might look into.

Speaker Process Controllers - Full Compass

Stand-alone digital EQs were more of a “flash in the pan” that never had a chance to reach “ubiquitous” status. They were quickly supplanted by digital consoles and the digital speaker processors. They were intended for live sound applications, and as such there wasn’t a good reason for them to have the kind of features you’re looking for.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Basses

15. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    Yeah as someone else mentioned. The high and low pass filters are in the crossover section. It has all of the typical filters in all of the typical slopes that are needed. I have a drive rack 260 sitting here not being used and can confirm that it is a very powerful tool. The thing about system processors however is that they are typically designed to be setup(preferably using the GUI on a laptop) and then mostly left alone. If you are looking for something to have available at a moments notice then you might want to look elsewhere.

The reason that you are not finding standalone units that do what you are thinking is because stand alone processing is quickly disappearing. Between the processing built into digital mixers and plug in suites like Waves Multirack, there are not very many rack units at front of house these days.

Can you tell us the exact application that you are working toward so that maybe we can suggest something.

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Soundcraft ui-24r. Busts your budget at $800. You have to look for that price... eq has HPF, LPF, Low shelving, hi shelving, Low and hi mid fully parametric. And of course it has like 24 of them... I use one as my personal live mixer. There are folks using it as an audio interface for studio. Has very nice warm Studer preamps. Lexicon effects. Love mine!

Jimbob Jones likes this.
  17. If you're going down that route, the ui-12 is also available in that range, less io but same processing!

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Ui 24 has updated preamps, lower noise floor. Hopefully SC will update the 12 and 16. I could have lived with the i/o of the 16 but side by side listening the 24 clear choice for me.

19. GentProvocateur

Indeed it would! Thanks!

Thanks for confirming about the crossovers. I think the set it and forget it would work great (see below for application)

Makes sense. Doesn't mean I have to like it though :)

A user-created cab sim (sans IR), with more drastic eq changes than something like the OCSD, and more direct of a sound than something with IRs, like the Torpedo CAB. Will be going between my preamp and power amp, and then out to a greenboy cab. My preferred, glorious, raunchy sound has been feeding my preamp into an audio interface then into Garageband to use the visual eq.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  20. GentProvocateur

The size isn't great but I'm really digging the functionality. The major drawback for me is fewer bands of parametric eq and the lack of a LPF, at least according to this video

Last edited: May 1, 2018